What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin interconnectivity questions

FlyingBanker

Well Known Member
Patron
I just had a panel upgrade with the following equipment (among others):
G3X (GDU 460)
GNX 375 WAAS Navigator/ADS-B Transponder
GTR 20 Remote Comm radio - set to Comm 1
SL-30 Nav/Comm radio - set to Comm 2 and Nav 2

I have a couple of questions. First, I can program the standby frequencies for the SL-30 on the G3X CNS Data Bar, but I can't switch the standby to active there. I have to do the switch on the SL-30 itself. Is there something else that needs to be done to allow this switch to happen on the G3X, or is that just a limitation of the older nature of the SL-30?

Second, on the GTX 375, I can pull up the frequencies for a waypoint in the flight plan, but pressing on the frequency on the GTX 375 does not load it to the G3X. Should that be the case? Again, is there something else that needs to be done to make this happen?

Last edited:
SL 30 COM Tuning

I just had a panel upgrade with the following equipment (among others):
G3X (GDU 460)
GTX 375 WAAS Navigator/ADS-B Transponder
GTR 20 Remote Comm radio - set to Comm 1
SL-30 Nav/Comm radio - set to Comm 2 and Nav 2

I have a couple of questions. First, I can program the standby frequencies for the SL-30 on the G3X CNS Data Bar, but I can't switch the standby to active there. I have to do the switch on the SL-30 itself. Is there something else that needs to be done to allow this switch to happen on the G3X, or is that just a limitation of the older nature of the SL-30?

Second, on the GTX 375, I can pull up the frequencies for a waypoint in the flight plan, but pressing on the frequency on the GTX 375 does not load it to the G3X. Should that be the case? Again, is there something else that needs to be done to make this happen?

Good Morning,

The G3X Touch does not have the ability to swap COM frequencies on the SL 30, you are limited to tuning the standby frequency from the GDU. You do have the option of wiring a dedicated frequency swap switch to the SL 30 directly. When pin 8 on the 37 pin connector of the SL 30 is pulled low, the frequencies will swap.

With the GDU 460, if you touch a frequency you will have the option to push it to the standby position of either the SL 30 or GTR 20.

Thanks,

Justin

GNX 375

Thanks g3expert for your quick response. What about touching the frequency on the GNX 375 rather than on the GDU 460 - should that be able to push to Com 1 or Com 2 also?

Good Morning,

The G3X Touch does not have the ability to swap COM frequencies on the SL 30, you are limited to tuning the standby frequency from the GDU. You do have the option of wiring a dedicated frequency swap switch to the SL 30 directly. When pin 8 on the 37 pin connector of the SL 30 is pulled low, the frequencies will swap.

With the GDU 460, if you touch a frequency you will have the option to push it to the standby position of either the SL 30 or GTR 20.

Thanks,

Justin

Hate to hijack the thread, but I have recently installed a similar setup (SL40 instead of the 30..) I cannot program my standby freq on the GDU460. It shows up fine when I change it on the SL40 unit. But, if I try to program it, it will switch back to what was previously programmed after a few moments.

796 to SL-30 frequencies

I've got a panel with a 430, SL-30 and 796 interconnected. The 430 sends the flight plan to the 796 and the 796 sends frequencies to the SL-30. This has worked great for years until recently. I get the flight plan on the 796 right away but now,sometimes, I don't get the freqs. The waypoints may not show up and if they do the freqs may be empty or incomplete. I've had instances where I saw the freqs slowly populate over about a 15 minute period. I'm guessing it could be a serial issue or sw version. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas? Thanks.

GNX 375 Tuning

Thanks g3expert for your quick response. What about touching the frequency on the GNX 375 rather than on the GDU 460 - should that be able to push to Com 1 or Com 2 also?

The GNX 375 cannot tune the standby frequency of your COM radio's. The GDU is capable of doing so however, so you will have remote tuning capability in the panel, but it must be done through the G3X Touch display, rather than the GNX 375.

Thanks,

Justin

SL 40 COM Tuning

Hate to hijack the thread, but I have recently installed a similar setup (SL40 instead of the 30..) I cannot program my standby freq on the GDU460. It shows up fine when I change it on the SL40 unit. But, if I try to program it, it will switch back to what was previously programmed after a few moments.

Hey James,

Are you able to send us over some pictures of your RS 232 configuration page, to [email protected]? This may help explain some of what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Justin

Aera 796

I've got a panel with a 430, SL-30 and 796 interconnected. The 430 sends the flight plan to the 796 and the 796 sends frequencies to the SL-30. This has worked great for years until recently. I get the flight plan on the 796 right away but now,sometimes, I don't get the freqs. The waypoints may not show up and if they do the freqs may be empty or incomplete. I've had instances where I saw the freqs slowly populate over about a 15 minute period. I'm guessing it could be a serial issue or sw version. Has anyone seen this or have any ideas? Thanks.

It is possible that the RS232 connection between the Aera 796 bare wires harness and the SL30 is failing or damaged in some way. You may want to inspect the wiring between the two to see if you find anything out of the ordinary.

If nothing turns up there, please contact us directly at [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

Back