Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-31-2020, 12:21 PM

Default Tie down rings on or off.

Hi all,
During preflight do you remove your tie-down eyelet's? Check the POH under Right Wing and Left Wing preflight. In both areas the POH says Tie-Down - REMOVE eyelet. I am thinking that the POH is trying to say, "don't install the eyelet's until you need them". Funny, it does not say the same thing for the tail tie down eyelet.
I have heard it explained that there is a possibility of dissimilar metal corrosion if you leave the tie down eyelets installed in the wing. What do you do about this and why?
Thanks
UH1H VN 1972
Old 01-31-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_N412SB View Post
I have heard it explained that there is a possibility of dissimilar metal corrosion if you leave the tie down eyelets installed in the wing. What do you do about this and why?
Thanks
I have never heard that, but if it had shown it self to be a problem, there are lots of bolts and screws that would be a concern as well.

It is best to leave the tail tie down ring permanently installed because it acts as a tail skin if you ever accidentally drag the tail (just grinds a little bit of cheap steel instead of a lot of expensive parts.

As for removing the wing tie downs...... That is how you achieve the spec'ed max. cruise speed of 120 Kts. If you leave them in, the speeds in the POH wont match

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-31-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
As for removing the wing tie downs...... That is how you achieve the spec'ed max. cruise speed of 120 Kts. If you leave them in, the speeds in the POH wont match
aircraftspecialty's stainless tie down rings should help you recover some of that 0.1kts though, and they definitely add a couple knots of coolness factor: http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/rvall2.html
Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Mine Retract

My RV friends gave me a hard time for leaving the wing tiedowns on our RV-6, and I didnít like the location of the left one because the tiedown rope/chain got hung up on the pitot tube. Besides, theyíre a bit awkward to reach. So I made up a set of spring loaded ones that attach to the spar and wingtip ribs. Fixed!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:32 PM

I consider the wing eyelets optional. We don't need them in the hangar, but if parked near helicopters or jet blast while inside the restaurant at temporary tie downs visiting other airports for "$100 burgers", they get installed and chained up to the tie down cables, and removed again, before take off. A clean, aerodynamic plane is a happy, efficient flying plane per gallon of fuel burned.

The rear eyelet makes a good taildragger substitute instead of grinding the aluminum skins back there in the event of an "oops" moment.

Last edited by NinerBikes : 01-31-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:47 PM

Default tie down eyebolts

As several others mentioned, I leave the tail tiedown eyebolt installed permanently so that I have a tail skid. A very experienced CFI told me years ago that if you never bump the tail GENTLY on the runway then you are not making full stall landings. After nearly 400 landings on my RV-12 that seems to not be the case, but I am still watching for it. I have a hanger so the wing eyebolts are in the glove box but have never been put in place. When I occasionally tie down outside I put the ropes thru the wingtip hand holds. Seems to work fine.
RV-12 #120768, first flight Sept. 2016
245 hrs as of 2/1/2020

Last edited by Charlie12 : 02-07-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:53 PM

Default There when you need 'em

The thing about tie-downs is that when you will need them, it will likely be raining, windy or some other ugly weather and then you'll be standing there with the canopy open looking for where you had them stowed (assuming you carried them with you). They have insignificant drag on the airframe and are downright handy when needed, so I leave them in all the time.

I did buy the stainless powder coated ones from Cleaveland Tools and install them with antiseize, so corrosion shouldn't really be an issue.

I do swap them out at annual to install lifting jack points, and then reinstall with fresh antiseize.

- RV10, Build in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"...many great hours and happy landings so far.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:34 AM

In a moment of anxious weight shedding efforts, I bought a pair of expensive titanium eye-bolts and ground them down to the right length/shape. They stay on the airplane. I suppose I could have achieved the same gross weight reduction by switching to light beer for a while......
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sun View Post
I suppose I could have achieved the same gross weight reduction by switching to light beer for a while......
Thatís a good observation. Iím sitting around on snowy Saturday morning, so I searched the average American man 20 years old and up weighs 197.9 pounds and average waist circumference is 40.2 inches. Looks like human evolution is progressing faster than I thought. If youíre looking for increased performance and fixated on aircraft empty weight, youíre probably working on the wrong problem...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 542

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 AM

Default Titanium

Realize that titanium is farther from aluminum than stainless is on the galvanic corrosion charts...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues+ Paid 2019,...Thanks DR+