Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Service Bulletins 19-08-26 and 16-05-23 Published: Nose gear leg and fork replacement

Van's has published two RV-12 Service Bulletins to the Van's Safety and Service Information section of our web site.
Parts related to these service bulletins are available to order. Prices listed are effective as of the date of this posting. Note that it is the policy of Van's Aircraft to price parts associated with service bulletins at the lowest possible cost to the buyer.
SB 19-08-26: WD-1201 Nose Gear Replacement
This is a new service bulletin, which is being released along with new parts and related tools that can be ordered from Van’s. You can access and read the Service Bulletin here.

Explanation: On one RV-12 aircraft, in use at a flight school and flying for about 1700 training hours at the time of the incident, the nose gear leg cracked and failed near the top of the leg. This is the only instance of this failure we have seen. Van’s conducted an analysis and determined it was best to release an updated version of the nose gear leg and make it available for installation on existing aircraft, which is the purpose of this kit.

The service bulletin directs the owner to replace the nose gear leg at or before the aircraft's next annual inspection. Note that no affected gear legs have been shipped by Van’s since June 10, 2019. The part number on the affected gear leg is WD-1201, and the updated leg is part number WD-1201-1. A version of the WD-1201-1 that is manufactured specifically for retrofit on aircraft that already have a gear leg installed is included in the kits, details of which are listed below.

Kits and Tools: There are two retrofit kits available, one for the RV-12 and another for the RV-12iS, as well as three long drill bits that can be ordered from Van’s. Note that the bits can be ordered individually or as a set of three (and when ordered as a set, the cost is lower). Details are in the service bulletin document for those who wish to procure their tools elsewhere.

SB 19-08-26 $350.00 (for original RV-12)
SB 19-08-26iS $350.00 (for the RV-12iS)
TOOL-00040 $20.00
TOOL-00041 $21.50
TOOL-00042 $23.00
TOOL-00038 $58.00 (All three of the above tools as a set)

NOTE: If you have not yet completed the steps to install your original-style gear leg on a RV-12 build in progress, please call us to acquire the new gear leg. You will not need the retrofit kit in that case. If you have already drilled and attached the gear leg to the firewall, you will need to use the retrofit kit listed above.

You may use this link to order these items from the Van's online store. Please provide your RV-12/12iS kit serial number when you place your order, as we need to assign the parts to a specific kit/aircraft when ordered.
SB 16-05-23: WD-1230 Nose Fork Cracks
This is an updated and re-released service bulletin, which was originally published in 2016. Only the update to make replacement mandatory and the requirement to periodically inspect on a more-frequent basis have changed. The two kits associated with this service bulletin have been available for some time to purchase and install, and have not changed. You can access and read the updated Service Bulletin here.

Explanation: A replacement for the WD-1230 nose fork was released a few years ago because it was found the fork was cracking in some cases. Unfortunately, people either have not been inspecting as required or have not been detecting cracks while inspecting the fork and as a result, a small number of nose gear forks have cracked and failed (broken). This new SB release makes it mandatory to replace the original-style RV-12 nose gear fork, where the original version of the bulletin allowed for periodic inspection. Owners are directed to replace the nose gear fork at or before their next annual condition inspection and to inspect every 25 hours until replaced.

Kits:

12 NOSE FORK CONVERSION $325.00
12 NOSE WHL FAIRING CONVERSION $75.00

You may use this link to order these items from the Van's online store. Please provide your RV-12/12iS kit serial number when you place your order, as we need to assign the parts to a specific kit/aircraft when ordered.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-29-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added clarification about when retrofit kit is needed if still under construction
Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 AM

I would like to see a photo of the new gear leg to understand why the engine has to be more or less unhooked and lifted to replace the nose gear leg.

There must be some new metal that conflicts with existing stuff; the one on my original RV-12 was pretty much just bolted on with 13 AN bolts and from my memory should be a simple replacement..

Are there any photos of the new gear leg that would clarify this for me ?
Old 01-28-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I would like to see a photo of the new gear leg to understand why the engine has to be more or less unhooked and lifted to replace the nose gear leg.

There must be some new metal that conflicts with existing stuff; the one on my original RV-12 was pretty much just bolted on with 13 AN bolts and from my memory should be a simple replacement..

Are there any photos of the new gear leg that would clarify this for me ?
The reason you'll need to unattached the lower engine mount bolts and lift away is that both the existing and new gear legs have a flange at the top which is "sandwiched" between the engine mount/isolators and the firewall. The lower engine mount bolts pass through all of these. You will need to remove those bolts in order to remove the existing gear leg, then back-drill matching holes in the new gear leg's flange from the cockpit side of the firewall. You "lift away" the engine mount to remove the elastomers and insert a temporary wood spacer to allow the required drilling. This is covered in greater detail in the SB text, of course.

When you originally installed the existing nose gear leg, there were full-size holes already in the leg's flange, and pilot holes in the firewall. The original gear leg was used as a drill guide. Now that you already have full-size holes in your firewall, the best method to ensure the new flange is properly drilled to match is to use the firewall holes and tools per the SB to match-drill the new gear leg flange.

Hope that helps. Here are photos of the retrofittable gear leg. Note that the two holes in the upper bracket/flange where the engine mount bolts will be located are not yet drilled - the installer completes that task via the match-drilling steps.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-28-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:59 PM

It would be nice to "see" where the "location that is not visually inspectable" is on the failed existing part...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 542

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the photos....I am at home and don't have the plans at hand, and had forgot about the "upper" part that gets squeezed at the engine mount, had vaguely recalled only the part that bolts to the bottom of the fuselage.

Thanks that cleared me up
Old 01-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
It would be nice to "see" where the "location that is not visually inspectable" is on the failed existing part...
It’s pretty difficult to show you a non-inspectable location.

That said, the crack occurred inside the nose gear leg tube, at the welded point where it meets lower flange/attach plate. The crack location is not visible from above or below, as it is blocked from view by the weld and flange/attach plate. Therefore, the first time one would actually be able to see the crack from the exterior would be after failure.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-28-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:31 PM

Was the fatigue crack initiated by the weld? How is the new leg different to the old one in that area? How many landings had the training aircraft done in those 1700 hours?
Old 01-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Are the VA-268 and VA-269 drill bushings part of the SB-19-08-26 nose leg delivery or to be purchased extra?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLw...nv3vJiqAYoE-dg

=VAF= dues paid for 2020
Old 01-28-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Itís pretty difficult to show you a non-inspectable location.

That said, the crack occurred inside the nose gear leg tube, at the welded point where it meets lower flange/attach plate. The crack location is not visible from above or below, as it is blocked from view by the weld and flange/attach plate. Therefore, the first time one would actually be able to see the crack from the exterior would be after failure.
Any photos of the failed part?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 542

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-28-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Any photos of the failed part?
No, sorry.