What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

S-1207 won't stay glued to spinner

EastCoastFlyer

Friend
My pitot tube bushing (S-1207) will not stay glued to the spinner. I've roughened it with course sandpaper and glued it several times to the spinner (with blue Loctite) and it pops out during flight (it stays on the pitot tube). Anybody else have this problem? Anybody had any luck with another glue?

I lost one recently so the new one is held in with epoxy. Definitely won?t be coming out now!

Blue Loctite ONLY works with metal parts and in the absence of air (anaerobic).

There is an absence of air on a good portion of the busing where it is inserted into the spinner so the anaerobic action does occur, and it does work with other than metal parts.
The problem is that the bushing is made from Rulon, a PTFE plastic that is difficult to get adheasion too.

The Loctite product was originally used because it was something that RV-12 builders were already going to have to obtain for other things.

Because of instances of the bond failing, the recommended adhesive was changed a few years ago.

My bushing, originally set in blue Loctite, came lose after only a few hours on the engine. At the time, I installed a new bushing using Proseal as the adhesive ... so far it has held up quite well.

Quoted below from the Loctite THREADLOCKER BLUE 242 TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
The product cures anaerobically, when there is an absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces.
Not for use on plastic parts
If two inactive metals are used, use of a primer is required
Set Time: 10 minutes on active metals (steel). Longer for less active metals

After the original went missing on mine, tank sealant has kept the new one in place for over 3 years now. Still secure and looking good.

Back