- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 10:49 AM

Default How to get plane into hangar up ramp slope

I just got a hangar for my RV-12 (a brag-worthy accomplishment in Southern California). I love having the plane in a hangar. But I have to muscle the plane up a slight incline to get it inside. I can do it using a tow bar to push and steer, but its very tough. So I am looking for some electric power assistance.

I can install a winch (with a remote control on/off switch) to pull the plane in. But I wonder whether Id damage the plane if I attach the winch cable to the tail tie-down ring.

I ask about using a winch because it would be dramatically less expensive than an electric airplane tug. Even for a plane as light as an RV-12, the least expensive tug Ive found is $1,500.

Information about your experience, and your opinions, will be welcomed with thanks.
VAF 2020 Dues Paid
Old 01-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Can you build a Vee of steel tube or pipe that attaches to the nose gear at the apex, and hinges to your car at the ends? Then you could use the car to push it inside.

Another alternative, a bit of a pain, but easy to make in an afternoon, is to make a block and tackle that ties to the plane and anchors at the back of the hangar. I did that to get my C180 into a hangar some years ago, and it worked well enough. It cost about $90 using Dyneema cord. With a cheaper cord it would be much less. Recommend using marine blocks (pulleys) for their proven load capability and low friction and reliability. West Marine, down on Lincoln near Fuji, should have some.

You can make 2:1, 3:1 and 4:1 block and tackles. You'll have to figure out the blocks and the amount of line before heading to the store. I used nylon strap to make a handle to pull with, and some 1/4" polyester line to attach to my plane.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 01-12-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:20 AM

I had the same issue with a slight incline and a small "step".
I say had because now I just taxi straight in.

Almost idle power is sufficient to bring the nose and main gear in.

Before, I pushed, huffed and puffed to enter (a C72R) tail first.
Never mind in winter when the asphalt is frozen and lightly covered in ice or snow.

I even installed an electric winch powered by batteries to pull it in by the tail attach loop. Too long and complicated.

I understand pushing an airplane backwards when a mule is used.
But our light airplanes?

When it's time to exit, then I push backwards, easy...
Empennage done & on fuselage (glass to finish)
SB Wings done (bolted to fuselage)
SB Fuselage in progress (wiring 90%, panel next)
Grove Airfoiled Gear, Wheels & Brakes
VPX-Pro, EFII System 32 & Bus Manager
AFS 5600 or Skyview HDX, Dynon D10A,
Aerosport IO-375
MTV-9-B/183
Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 AM

I had to get my fuselage up my driveway to move it to the airport. I ran a rope around the main gear legs and to the back of my truck to pull it up. I used ratcheting clamps to hold them on the legs where I wanted them. I assume the same could be done pulling it from the rear with your winch idea.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lon@carolon.net View Post
I just got a hangar for my RV-12 (a brag-worthy accomplishment in Southern California). I love having the plane in a hangar. But I have to muscle the plane up a slight incline to get it inside. I can do it using a tow bar to push and steer, but it’s very tough. So I am looking for some electric power assistance.

I can install a winch (with a remote control on/off switch) to pull the plane in. But I wonder whether I’d damage the plane if I attach the winch cable to the tail tie-down ring.

I ask about using a winch because it would be dramatically less expensive than an electric airplane tug. Even for a plane as light as an RV-12, the least expensive tug I’ve found is $1,500.

Information about your experience, and your opinions, will be welcomed with thanks.
Are you using a good towbar? That can make a difference.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../bogibars2.php

Model 4-RVA works well on the 12.

Unfortunately they just raised their prices quite a bit.

Last edited by jrtens : 01-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM

You can buy a 25 to 30$ hand crank winch with plenty of leverage at Harbor Freight. Should be almost effortless, pulling a mere 750 pounds on wheels, up a gradual slope.

Another question... how do you get your airplane out of the hanger without it rolling away from you going down slope?
Old 01-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Can you paint a centreline on the floor and taxi it in nose first?
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr3 View Post
Can you paint a centreline on the floor and taxi it in nose first?
I am assuming he has a "T" shaped hanger, if he's backing his plane into the hanger and pushing it..
Old 01-12-2020, 01:04 PM

Harbor Freight Electric Hoist used as a winch... https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb...rol-60346.html

I installed this 15 years ago for use with my J3-Cub and now RV-12. Tail hook on RV-12 is very substantial. I extended the pendent switch so it can reach 30' in front of the hanger. So, one hand guides tow bar to steer while other hand controls winch motor. I installed the winch about 5' above ground level so pulling force doesn't raise nose wheel off the ground. Works a charm...

EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 542

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-12-2020, 01:33 PM

Default little quad?

It seems if you have the space, a small quad would be a good solution - they are not expensive. No idea why small gas and electric tow bars are $1500 when a little quad is only $500. I guess you can get used quads for a lot less. Just need to rig up a way to attach a tow bar.

I might need one since I'm in a shared hangar, and the aircraft in front of me is very heavy. I can move it using my legs, but it's quite a workout, and not much fun.

Another idea might be to modify an old self propelled snow blower or tiller or something else like that, but quads are much more fun to ride.