VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Default Interior Paint - $JetFlex$ and gloss

I'd like to get started painting the interior as I assemble it. I've seen a few recommendations:
  1. JetFlex WR
    I don't like that they describe this as not being as durable as regular JetFlex which is 2-component. Durability is probably my most important requirement. Haven't checked price.
  2. JetFlex
    Would go with this if it wasn't $400!!
  3. Rattle Cans
    Don't like that option. Already ruled it out.
  4. Urathane (both 1 and 2-stage)
    Cheaper (>=$100). As durable as JetFlex?

I got 3 quotes for JetFlex and they ranged from about $400-$475 shipped. No way Jose.
There was a post I found where Mr. Horton recomended 1-stage urathane. I've shot base/clear before and don't like the idea of that much work so the 1-stage is appealing. Called my local PPG and they gave me these options:

PPG TrueFinish - an industrial coating with very low gloss rating of 10-12
PPG Pitthane - Their next step up in gloss ratings at 60-70. Durable, and drys in 6 hours

Are there any other urathanes out there that people have used and like? I might even be open to base/clear if there's a huge durability improvement.

I'm probably going to color it medium to dark gray. Are there any concerns about gloss in an RV-10? I won't color the panel or glareshield with this stuff. The Jetflex is in between my two PPG options at a 20-30 gloss units rating (1-100 range). Would 60-70 be too much?
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2019 Dues Paid
Old 12-04-2019, 12:45 PM

I used Jetflex WR in my interior and it was a great paint for a beginner. It self-leveled and made it look like I knew what I was doing. I have almost 100 flight hours on it now, plus hundreds of hours crawling in and out putting in avionics and interior, and it still looks great. I have only had to touch-up a spot on the roll bar that gets scrubbed off opening and closing the canopy and a few other places that got scratched one way or another. I would say after it cures it is very durable. YMMV.

BTW - I only used a bit more than one quart for the interior and I painted all of it, even what is hidden by carpet and interior. I believe it was about $120 a quart.
Miss March 2020

Last edited by MED : 12-04-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM

I used JetFlex WR on my RV-9A interior. There is some wear on the seat backs where you rub getting in and out. The underlying Akzo-Nobel epoxy primer shows through and that stuff is VERY tough.

Shooting the WR was easy once you get it thinned properly for your gun.

I went with a beige/gray that is lighter in color. It is fine for my warmer climate here in SoCal, but it does show up as reflections in photos. I painted the panel in the same color, then labeled it with the DecalPro transfer labels. I covered the labels with flat clear Rustoleum spray can stuff and that has held up just fine. If I were to do it over, I would go darker, even though it might be hotter.

I don't recall JetFlex WR being that expensive. I got it from Alliance Coatings in El Cajon, CA. Give them a call. I needed about a quart and a half to finish off all of the interior surfaces. Probably for your RV-10 you will need a it more than that.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 12-04-2019, 01:07 PM

I've started painting pieces with the JetFlex WR. I'm using a tan/grey color. I'm still not an expert yet on using it, but it seems pretty good. It does seem pretty durable once it has had a chance to dry. I bought mine from Skygeek.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 12-04-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Jet Flex SB

I'm in the other camp. Jet Flex SB. Used a little over 1/2 of two quarts. Black and Gray so I spent a little more. Both flat. The only caveot is the hardener has a life span once opened. I get about a year on it stored in the fridge. I painted before assembly so the rivets would show.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Default jet Flex

I went with regular jet flex. I used one quart, and a little more because I wasn't efficient. It goes on well and I did not use a lot of paint; I used quite a bit more wash primer as the first coat. I will do this again. The paint is amazingly easy to flow and to get to come out looking decent. It is very forgiving of temperature, skills and techniques.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 10% Canopy
Electrical 5%
Engine In Stock
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Polane T

I used dark gray SW Polane T on the RV 14 interior over the SW wash primer Van's specs for the QB fuselage. I matched the Polane color to my Dark gray leather interior. I used a lighter gray paint for my one piece instrument panel as a backdrop to the black G3X avionics. I posted pics on the RV14 panel thread last year. Boeing uses a mil spec version of the same paint Polane L for some interior work.
After it fully cures it is tough stuff. It is a 1:1 Polyurethane/Catalyst-V66 V27 that is less than $150 for two quart kit. This is an industrial coating sold in SW commercial stores (not retail stores). Easy to spray. I sprayed my QB fuselage after joining the tail section as it was perfectly new and clean. After the Polane T cured I covered the inside with moving blankets and foam pads while working inside. Looks great after 200 hours flying.

https://oem.sherwin-williams.com/pro...ethane-enamel/
GTR 200 & 20 COMM's, 245 audio, GTX 45R
Repairman Certificate
Old 12-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Default SW Genesis

Maybe take a look aT SW genesis. I shot my entire airframe this way and it was easy to lay down and reasonably priced. I was directed to look that way by someone who is in the business, and he was right. Added bonus: if you shoot an automotive color, you go to Autozone for your touch up paint.
2011-2020 VAF contributor
Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM

Default Interior Paint

I painted my interior with a two part epoxy primer from Summit Racing, itís very easy to work with and produced a nice flat/satin finish. I bought a quart each of grey and white and mixed them to get the color I wanted. It seems to stick very well to aluminum and since itís epoxy I think it will prove to be very durable, time will tell. Here is a link. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up230q
Old 12-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Default JetFlex WR

Another happy JetFlex WR user here. My hangar is attached to the house, so I chose it because of the need to avoid paint fumes getting into the living space. Very happy with the ease of application as well as the durability. I ordered it in a light tan color with flattener. Painted the whole interior, including the cabin top and doors using cheap Harbor Freight HVLP guns. The water based paint eats up those guns, so I went through 3 or 4 of them, but at $12 a pop, I just bought some when they were on sale and threw them out when done.
Slow build kit #40874
Homebuilt Kit Champion Oshkosh 2019
Atlantic crossings: 2

Last edited by Paddy : 12-08-2019 at 07:59 PM.