VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Arduino compatible controller (new thread)

I thought that I should start a new thread on this topic, separate from the RV-12 thread. For those new to the topic, I have developed an Arduino-compatible controller board that is application-hardened for Avionics applications. I has two H-bridges for driving trim (or other) motors, a relay H-bridge for driving flaps, pumps or lamps, protected analog and digital inputs and provisions for expansion (Bluetooth, WiFi, displays, etc.). The serial input supports TTL, RS-232, and RS-422 levels for short, medium and long haul applications. The design operates up to 50 Volts (max), depending on configuration (14V or 28V nominal). All power and IO has extensive protection from ESD, short circuits, and power surges (load dumps).

This design works well with Dynon, Garmin and other EFIS systems that provide air data, system data and engine data on a serial link.

All of the group-buy circuit boards have arrived and I have partially assembled one to test the major functionality. Everything is working fine. I have even tested it with an FTDI USB to Serial board plugged in for downloading sketches.

The Falcon-AVR board pictured is a 14V version, the 28V upgrade will be tested later this week.

I'll start sending out boards once the 28V design has been proven.

Thanks to all of the folks that supported this design effort and helped me defer some of the cost (my cost over $1000 out of pocket plus 1000+ hours). The documentation is here.

Cheers,
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 07-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:48 PM

A better picture of the fully assembled and functional 14V version:

Getting there!
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 07-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Default More horsepower!

During the design of my Falcon-AVR controller, I converted a large assembly language program to C (about 1600 lines) and started bumping up against the real-time and memory limitations of the Arduino 'Uno' type processor (aka the Atmel ATMega328P).

Like most engineers, I saw this problem as an opportunity, so I designed a small daughter board that converts the Teensy 3.2, which is based on a high performance ARM core, to the ATMega328P socket. This provides at least 10x the throughput and much more memory for large sketches. The small connector on the board provides a third independent serial port, I2C and SPI capability, with power (5 or 3.3V).

This board plugs directly into the Falcon-AVR board, but also the Arduino Uno! The picture below shows two USB cables which provides me with two serial monitors... one from the Uno board talking on serial port #1, and the other on the Teensy talking on serial port #0.

This really opens up applications for the Uno, since the console can be separated from the serial port. It allows full throughput WiFi, for example when using the commonly available WiFi cards.

So... in solving the problem and designing a board for the Falcon-AVR, I have also greatly enhanced the function of the Arduino Uno. Next step, solve world hunger!

As always, PM me for more info.

Arduino Uno with Talon-AVR

Falcon-AVR with Talon-AVR

Talon-AVR without the Teensy 3.2 mounted
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 07-09-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:34 PM

Any chance youll offer assembled/soldered/completed boards? Id like one or two if you do.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Any chance youll offer assembled/soldered/completed boards? Id like one or two if you do.
I have a third-party who may do this. Send me a PM for more info.
Thanks, Vern
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM

Default WiFighter!

Here's a couple of pics of the Falcon-AVR + Talon-AVR (Teensy) and a WiFi board plugged in to Serial1 (first pic) or Serial2 (second pic)

I'm having way too much fun with this, but the hardware is done. The WiFi was a big challenge, but now my iPhone is talking to the Falcon-AVR!

Serial2 is on the Talon board. In total, there are three serial ports in play here... the USB, Serial1 and Serial2.

RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 07-11-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Update on Falcon-AVR

Well, I have just finished another massive coding project on the Falcon-AVR. I added flaps and trim presets to the basic(!) autotrim controller function that I have been flying with.

I also climbed the WiFi mountain. Now I can login to the device with my iPhone and change all of the configuration data easily and perform installation debug. I also added some remote control routines... I can run my flaps and trim without being in the aircraft! This is useful more for ground checkout, but it leads to thinking about what else I can do with it.

And yes, it's password secured and short range.

The picture shows the final configuration. I mounted the WiFi module underneath the main board, connected with wires to the Talon module (Teensy adapter). I plunked down a second WiFi module down next to it for show and tell.

One of the big challenges I had was getting my interrupt driven environment playing nice with Software Serial on an ATMega328P processor. In this application, it just won't work. In the bowels of the internet, it says to run Software Serial at the same or faster baud rate than the hardware serial port or it will block the hardware serial. It also says you can't run SS at 115,200 bits per second. For this application, that's a null set.

The solution was to punt the ATMega and just use the Teensy, which has extra hardware serial ports and much more memory and horsepower, so I can be more wasteful in my coding.

It's fun sitting at my desk in the hangar and running the flaps up and down!

RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 10-23-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:13 AM

Default Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
I also climbed the WiFi mountain. Now I can login to the device with my iPhone and change all of the configuration data easily and perform installation debug. I also added some remote control routines... I can run my flaps and trim without being in the aircraft! This is useful more for ground checkout, but it leads to thinking about what else I can do with it.

And yes, it's password secured and short range.

Looks like a really cool project! As someone involved in security for food and shelter, I'd recommend caution mixing any kind of remote access and your airplane's flight controls. The bad guys out there are much smarter and much more capable than you would imagine.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:36 PM

How can I get more info? Your PM inbox is full and I don't see any mention of this on the Vx site or Planemaker.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 10-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Hi Scott. I freed up some space on my PM account now.

You can check this link for the documentation: http://www.vx-aviation.com/documents/

Thx
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 wings complete
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)