What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage stand with dimensions

localizer

Hi all,
Does anybody have drawings for a QB fuselage stand with dimensions? I see a lot of links to wings' stand and a number of pictures for fuselage stand, but without the actual fuselage it is hard to figure out how to build one (I want one on wheels).

Thanks!

Hi all,
Does anybody have drawings for a QB fuselage stand with dimensions? I see a lot of links to wings' stand and a number of pictures for fuselage stand, but without the actual fuselage it is hard to figure out how to build one (I want one on wheels).

Thanks!

There are several styles of fuselage stands. Some rig a wheel and a cross brace to the spar. I went simple and built a 4' x4' platform. You just have to cut notches for the gear mount, but works rather well. It was about a foot high, which makes a good height to work on the fuse. When the empennage was attached, I built a tail to the platform to support the tail.. There are photos on my kitlog site.

Update to the thread

Hey all. I was searching around on this topic and noticed there hasn't been much in the way of assistance in this particular equipment build. Some of the links don't work anymore and some plans are just photos. I put together a writeup of my fuse cradle build and wanted to post it here for anyone who thought it may be useful. Borrowed heavily from so many of you already out here, so if you see something that looks like it was in your hangar, it probably was - thank you! I hope this is able to help a few builders out.

http://ourv10.com/fuse-cradle-2/

I've written about my fuselage stand in both my blogs if you want to wade through them. Not sure if this design would work with an RV-10, but it worked for me. I supported the fuselage from the wooden spar inserts supplied from the factory and built a platform to support the aft end. It could be used as a flat stand, or with wheels with tail skid mods.
EyYZltjS84vzUsdrODm-RW_UIhu0_GMXu9NG6OmBTx-4uX58ShcvaL7x_IpSzQFtDPoM9MWOtmvDFXLi8wciBUlJtekf5vGL4wKLiZsm_nuZkJ0hP2U8Wa1mgEvcexkwcOfiMWn0_sosuM6USk9VLRjIPvBy1ZioON9jXgo1yrUDTw1wcNPlqmViWay3_ScMmWj4w5zZIRfpHQD5ZsjImn-pRsDdGrNaUnruGGXf2E48UzgKlmiH6RLm-bAb9Ozp2ASMIKMmItINIWlZYCal2S1jm9nHbHul_vkmy5ROBEEeHofMOWDN7WbQoGZXUa8s-Z9s_mnSiwO7rxDJVz-ca0AM63XJr8BY4aZ-0YkcaN0Dbce543GJYSa35L1cAf7kIH0LabUQ04vI7LZt9zwAuDbHTkXBLawlM38E4egNxixbtJ2clCdhiwlFV4ucm_GjqRSUEPE7-9E2Df7q_B3xxYagcnaOSWIN_peV37jyZUYN6MtRKBA4uThLSOK-XRhjj7WHsD9OfIXfA8KAbhJgnNkUTW6_R_F8gHt0P9-Y3agwqmfRxRco2OyKF8SeDcleVIOZ_tZnLSK66Z76Snzskd5PyOqqRmVtBbq5zWhCZIduHNWjOa6cg7hZIXMEvUEz8bxplYoEUk8LqdfRt4dtPpOyYxabII-KU_BZiiQYB3QvBHna14z1woE=w1080-h720-no

faCOD78BFllyCxC8cJIP6ZY_IjeXcz3s96fp1ZKZTXBFvMFWt5vgvx3iXCkdywYKi3vkuJvvCOLc37Yjyi6ubtO13vqEapZFnMu8X-F7cMLgynj8_AwFqs9fUWpYs8Klf8v01DYVXv7Vqi5_KU9FhWEnA1iYSB3DCiQs4ziOhpmld01askh-dxXU3xC0FnwVpzSfx55Wgn42UXAJebhiyV6EgRqRGemfj91XfPNAkqT1XgdXjcqrgJ68kyONp69p-Zyyvf5SJ6jnK3TzepcBBKFNt6QeeW1OixEvyGKAnZi4Yx4ieevzgCJRCgNaweUjLArSKtceM5iAADvNuWbnnXuw3wgT4QR8NCSMRciXaMZLm9_6fYxlyteqCXnA1-c7WAR9oOjEaPqAyykIHEvYjSik-R5Klf12hK1sZlnpWzInHC5fUiweDvd2A9sH8xDYzpMT2RXRLv6gc4TVXjKYybli3zvqCKj4yHA-1OGx3fqLOl18Qp6_nrxlsjUSY7MIqbqduPA20xf_5j3Q0ap3vI5DYGKkqAVQLq1Nn8nHLoR_decqEZZI4c_ez3Qr16-aCeu_7WKls11xrl9HYcPFR-6fcne4Uz7MPLZtgXisQpiP_EmCceH-0ZVhrp21uv4fIwdxlVYbjtgMvMISulPtrZmqZlbuO-bbQhy8WnDMTLsulTUfPNnK9A4=w1080-h720-no

Last edited:
Need this

This is what I need.
But can you post more details of the spar wood support. I dont have that on my slow build. How exactly doesit attach to the spar? Do the spar botls just rest on it or what?

On my -10 QB I made a ladder style frame on casters. The frame had hard points (with fore/aft stops) for the spar stubs. On the QB's there is a 2" (?) diameter pipe that passes through the aft fuselage where the steps will go. I left that pipe in place and rested its ends on the ladder frame. I found that setup to be very stable.

This is what I need.
But can you post more details of the spar wood support. I dont have that on my slow build. How exactly doesit attach to the spar? Do the spar botls just rest on it or what?

I had some silicon tubing left around that I placed below the spar before resting it on the wood frame. The notches do a perfectly fine job holding the spar in place, well that and gravity. I have found it to be sturdy at rest and when moving round the shop - no problems at all. Honestly, the silicon tubing is even probably a bit paranoid. Remember when they ship most of this to you it is in a pine crate with paper shrouding. I used pine boards, and unless I'm driving this cart down a bumpy road (hint: I'm not), it isn't really a high risk for deforming or gouging your spar.

That said, I tend to take every precaution and just placed something in there that would add some grip as well as cushion for the surface.

This is what I need.

My quickbuild kit was delivered uncrated by Partain Trading Company via Stewart Transport. The factory had built thick plywood inserts that were slipped into the spar slots in the fuselage and bolted in place. Here's a photo; you may have to make your own.
1RvnDg5v3a37Ph137UyNnrOOQ18rd3Yh-PcScwT43svlsJ1TojSroRLSSXYNdP9qX7mecf6hu_cdJevmptIIyCXBHlc4a4Ec__Cc18W9VKEm2UDQOp36kTLqi7FFug-1d3au6GBdvXSu3WfEa_K6hG4-IH8rwEp_9l2S5Mda4AjXXNBsQgnx52ukT6OUcv77-8EGqYeardAWaousXQuMUW_GvEooNduOedWvuXv1rP4sYVJ4Q4j7np3v-7z31jH7BbmHfbr-V5chriVWa6AoN1OyO1zSOtQA57jhc5iIhjjkkGLMCLlcDCiN92gnifPBfb-sGFFoVWt6hftkL1LdwAjgPGVvxxPpIfSEHrXb5229UMvhCQ_zuOkf5y7LTlYvjKoiLPKlJZD41bS4KeQ0L02iZdSNe9e_UDrDT1Xl1Zk0DvtB6jXolpTeH4c5ww79vTDj9yc_vETCbp3Iznh_vHY__Q9TqUVVEcqXXhDKtU2YNdJISZKTyd_VrDZmhTRmN62O1DeD8FZu1BAinr55iXXwp_xxv4X3ab2LvMNyy9eXwOewimIy4pDuKkyrNK7rqsmzUbE6OviGB9C0ncd9n9fsW9k4sJ7QIdExSdyg7Nrs_nyHYiUlWkN9cMLgCr_JREh278AaaR0s0jYQr5zACc9x-mab-f6si0x6FZlPZWqczBgWNbWa1rE=w1080-h720-no

Last edited:
Back