Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Autopilots
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Default Direct connection of GPS175 to Trutrak Vizion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillard View Post
Quick update. Got the GPS 175 installed and interfaced to the CDI and TruTrak a/p. Took it for a test flight and it works like a freaking dream! Makes beautiful curved intercepts and flys the RNAV LPV approach at my home airport like the plane was on rails. After the overshoot it navigates to the missed approach hold point and flys a perfect, wind corrected holding pattern. Totally cool!,,

Now I know this is old news for those flying the Garmin 430 and 650 navigators but itís all new to me. Iíve got the RV grin but this time itís the LPV grin!,
Very happy to hear someone has done this and proven it works. I've actually been chasing this a little with Garmin & Trutrak and not had much success getting a solid answer. I'm trying to confirm (before I spend $7K) that I can hook a Garmin GPS175 directly to a Trutrak Vizion/Bendix King xCruze AP
Could you please tell me if the AP you have is the Vizion (or is it one of the other Trutrak APs, like Gemini or Sorcerer?)?

I wasn't sure if other components were needed (like the Garmin GAD29 or a G5 or something along those lines, which I believe are all needed to hook a GPS175 to a Garmin GFC500 AP!). Seems hard to believe a direct connection between a Garmin product and a Trutrak/BK product is possible, when it's not even possible to do that while staying completely within the Garmin lineup? (i.e. GPF175->GAD29->G5->GFC500 ap)
Fingers crossed I'm understanding your post correctly, as it is a much simpler and less expensive setup! Thanks in advance... Steve
Old 12-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Hi Steve,

Yes, it's absolutely possible! I fly a C172 (not an RV) and installed a Vizion a/p last year and loved it. Interfaced it to my Aera 660 and it worked really well for VFR cross countries.

But I've always wanted to fly approaches since the Vizion is fully capable of doing that. However, the cost of a new 650 or even a used 430 was prohibitive so I held off until Garmin announced the GPS175 (and it's derivatives) earlier this year.

Ordered it last month from a local Garmin dealer. He made up the wiring harness and I did the install myself, under the supervision of my A&P (AME in Canada).

I found a good used GI106A for a CDI and that was all I needed. I followed Steve's advice and set up the 660 as a "repeater display" on a yoke mount.

The interface to the Vizion a/p was simple. One RS232 line and two AIRINC lines. That sends GPSS steering commands to the a/p which adds another whole level of capability to the aircraft.

As I said, it is freaking amazing. I go flying now just to watch it do it's thing.

My question to you...what are you waiting for?!!

Thanks...Peter
Old 12-26-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks so much Peter for the reply... I really appreciate it!
The BendixKings folks sent me an email just today saying I needed to install a GAD29 interface box for the 175 to talk to the AP. But I get the feeling from the responses I'm getting from both Trutrak & Garmin that the people answering my questions are not so confident of their answers.
If you have done this with a direct connection, then I guess it must work!! And that is the confirmation I was waiting for! :-)
I'm going to get the Vizion and the 175 and that's it... no G5 and no GAD29. That's a couple'a grand savings!
Thanks again for your help with this!!!
Steve
Old 03-31-2020, 06:10 AM

Default baro corrected altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Peter,

You are welcome.

The most common case where it is useful to have a baro corrected altitude source is for missed approaches such as KTOP RNAV (GPS) RWY 18.

The missed approach procedure is "Climb to 1500' then climbing right turn to 3600' direct GUKEC and hold".

When this missed approach procedure is flown with a GPS 175 receiving baro corrected altitude, all leg sequencing is continuous and automatic because the GPS 175 can "watch" you climb to 1500' and automatically transition to the right turn leg after you reach 1500'.

In the absence of this information, leg sequencing is suspended, and the pilot has to unsuspend to activate the right turn leg after the climb to 1500' is complete.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve can you tell me where to source the baro corrected altitude. Not seeing any encoder connection in the harness diagram.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehrv6a View Post
Thanks so much Peter for the reply... I really appreciate it!
The BendixKings folks sent me an email just today saying I needed to install a GAD29 interface box for the 175 to talk to the AP. But I get the feeling from the responses I'm getting from both Trutrak & Garmin that the people answering my questions are not so confident of their answers.
If you have done this with a direct connection, then I guess it must work!! And that is the confirmation I was waiting for! :-)
I'm going to get the Vizion and the 175 and that's it... no G5 and no GAD29. That's a couple'a grand savings!
Thanks again for your help with this!!!
Steve
No GAD29 required... The 175 outputs the necessary RS232 and ARINC429 signals which can be connected directly to their corresponding inputs on the Vizion 385 autopilot. For those of us with something like a GRT or similar EFIS system, we install a switch that allows us to feed ARINC429 to the autopilot from either the navigator or the EFIS.

Ya, flying coupled approaches is kinda cool.