VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-31-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Externally regulated AUTO Alternator

There is a ton of information and opinions about which auto alternators are best and whether to use an internal or external voltage regulator. I've come to the conclusion that I want a 50+amp auto alternator, without internal regulation. I'm using an external voltage regulator.

Within those parameters, I'd like Lester numbers or Autozone numbers for alternators that fit the description. These alternators should have a Field post and a B+ output post.

I'm having a difficult time finding an alternator without an internal regulator, and I don't want to modify it for an external voltage regulator.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanflyboy View Post

I'm having a difficult time finding an alternator without an internal regulator, and I don't want to modify it for an external voltage regulator.
Good luck finding one-----they probably exist, but not common.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...8&postcount=30

Delco Remy 14158 should do the trick http://www.delcoremy.com/product/product-details/14158

Or try Denso 2100244 http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....167713&jsn=609
Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 PM

Thanks Moose. Hours of reading and you solved my problem. I wish there was a way to search these alternators by features and not year make model.

JC
Old 04-01-2020, 08:32 AM

Well, that was fun. I literally looked at all the alternator pictures on Autozone, trying to find the smallest, CW rotation, externally regulated unit available. What I've discovered is that if you want small with internal fan, it's going to have an internal regulator.

The 14824 is the most compact unit delivering 55amps, internal fan, with a CW rotation. The stator has only 100mm diameter. I has a 3 pin plug with an internal regulator.

I actually have one of these in hand. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to remove the internal regulator.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 AM

I have used the 14158 on both my planes with good success. Correct rotation, 50 amps and externally regulated. Pulley size is optimized for the smaller lycoming flywheels, but RPMs should still be within range for larger pulley flywheels. If you cross match the ND number, you will find a unit remanufactured by ND for about $70 at summit racing or rock auto. That should provide greater reliability than the general aftermarket.

Larry
Old 04-01-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I have used the 14158 on both my planes with good success. Correct rotation, 50 amps and externally regulated. Pulley size is optimized for the smaller lycoming flywheels, but RPMs should still be within range for larger pulley flywheels. If you cross match the ND number, you will find a unit remanufactured by ND for about $70 at summit racing or rock auto. That should provide greater reliability than the general aftermarket.

Larry
Thanks Larry,
I've looked at that one. You have to be careful to get the correct fan, as I've seen the 14158 with fans in both directions. Trying to run it down on Summit.

JC
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks Larry,
I've looked at that one. You have to be careful to get the correct fan, as I've seen the 14158 with fans in both directions. Trying to run it down on Summit.

JC
Yes. However, I installed the one with the wrong fan on my 6. 650 hours of trouble free service, so suspect that it is not critical. I am confident the ND reman will have the correct fan.

Larry
Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Thanks Larry,

JC
The alternator doesn't care electrically which way it rotates and it is doubtful the presence of the correct fan or even a fan at all is a big deal in our application. The 35a alternator Vans sold for years was delivered without a fan and overheating wasn't a problem. Many of us back in the day installed a blast tube aimed at the rear of the alternator.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM

pecanflyboy - I wrote an article for Kitplanes magazine early last year that explains how to modify the alternator for external regulation. You might check the article out and see if you wish to take on the task of modifying the alternator.
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD