What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emergency Location Devices, 3/23/2020

Carl--Thanks a million for posting this. I had gotten interested in PLB's back in 2009. They were about $1500 then. This was really a great educator on what to buy and/or not buy.

Thanks again.:)

That is, THEE best presentation of emergency locator devices I?ve seen. Well presented. My personal choice is the ACR Res Q Link +, as I don?t need tracking or messaging. I paid $279 for mine.

PLB with g-switch?

Anyone know of a PLB with a g-switch? Seems like it would be an interesting option.

Good link, thanks for sharing.

One thing that most builder's don't consider, is if they have an accident, can they get to their ELT?

Say you put your plane down in the mountains and survive, can you retrieve your ELT and take it with you? I know, it is best to stay with your plane but sometimes seeking shelter is important.

My ELT came with a removable external antenna that can be attached to it. That antenna is secured on top of the flap cover with an Adel clamp and two layers of shrink tubing so it can accidently slide out.

The ELT itself is located under my baggage compartment floor with the access panel being secured with large knobs that do not require a tool to remove. Thus, if I'm able, I can remove the ELT, install the portable antenna, and move away from the aircraft.

(click to enlarge - There is an "ELT Located Here" sticker on that panel.)

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Back