What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IOS 13 and GDL 39

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Since getting a new iPhone updated with IOS 13 my GDL 39 bluetooth no longer connects automatically to my phone and the Garmin Pilot app when it boots up. Have to go to Bluetooth settings and reconnect.
Anyone else have this problem, any quick fix?
Latest firmware on everything.
Figs

I had a similar problem. If the 39 shut down and the ipad didn't, they would not reconnect correctly. I solved it by resetting the bluetooth connection on the 39. If you look in the manual, you will find a procedure where you hold down the button for around 5 or 10 seconds. It is just like telling your ipad to forget a stored BT or WiFi spot.

I would also suggest going into BT on the ipad and "forget this device" for the 39.

Give it a try.

Larry

Last edited:
GDL 39 Connection

Since getting a new iPhone updated with IOS 13 my GDL 39 bluetooth no longer connects automatically to my phone and the Garmin Pilot app when it boots up. Have to go to Bluetooth settings and reconnect.
Anyone else have this problem, any quick fix?
Latest firmware on everything.
Figs

Good Morning,

As Larry mentions, it would be good to start with 'Forgetting' the device in your portable devices Bluetooth menu and then re-connecting it.

Resetting the Bluetooth connection is the next step you would want to try. Here is the procedure for resetting the Bluetooth driver in the GDL:

• Press and hold the top button to make the GDL 39 flash, release and then press and hold again until the blue light goes out.

There is also a setting for Automatic Reconnect we can check from Garmin Pilot. From the Main Menu in Garmin Pilot, Touch Home. From that menu select Connext and then scroll down and touch the GDL 39. On that page, scroll down until you see "Manage Paired Devices". Next to the name of your portable device, is the slider on the right hand side enabled (blue)?

If you are still unable to get the Bluetooth connection to work properly, please reach out to our Pilot Operation's group at 1-866-739-5687 and they will be able to further assist you with this one.

Thanks,

Justin

I had the same problem when work upgraded our iPads recently. There was a setting on my GPS to connect automatically but obviously there's no interface with the GDL39 other than Garmin Pilot, so I was having to connect manually. I don't fully remember where the setting was but I remember having to be connected to the GDL39 to enable the automatic connection option. Try touching the (i)nfo button for the device in Bluetooth settings and there should be an option to turn on/off automatic connection, it's either there or in Garmin Pilot. However, since Garmin Pilot is not required to use the GDL39, so I think that's why it's an iOS setting.

Last edited:
Back