What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Bracket for iPad

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I’m using a mini iPad with ForeFlight and have been strapping the device on my leg. I’d really like to mount the unit on a swivel bracket and position it at the lower edge of the panel. See sketch below. Does anyone know the correct RAM mount to use for this application? I’m thinking perhaps a ball could be mounted to the bottom panel of the instrument bay and the mounting arm could be brought forward to support the iPad and allow angular adjustment. Also would nice if entire unit can be removed when flying local when iPad is not needed.

2ee90jt.jpg

Last edited:
I use a ball mount bolted to the panel over by the intercom. That way you can choose the length of the arm you want - three choices from RAM. Works great.

Tablet integration

I use a ball mount bolted to the panel over by the intercom. That way you can choose the length of the arm you want - three choices from RAM. Works great.

Could you provide an image of your tablet mount solution? I am currently evaluating which position is best to integrate my tablet to the panel. The upper part of the middle console will be occupied by back-up analog instruments (air speed and altimeter)
I first considered installing the tablet somewhere below throttle and choke levers, but it won't be ergonomic and safe to always move the head down.

I'm re-thinking this a little bit... My plane does not have landing light, strobes, or autopilot so the switches located directly beneath the D-180 or basically inop. The only switch that is operable is the Avionics power switch and I leave that always powered. So my thought is to move the mount up and allow the top edge of the iPad to rest near the bottom of the D-180 which will cover the four switches mentioned above. I think this will be more esthetically pleasing and improve clearance for knees.

I'm envisioning an angled aluminum mounting tray that will pull out on a slider track when not needed. I'll post again when things start to jel.

i1i239.jpg

I purchase a iPad holder with suction that fits under the panel of the RV12, without issues. I will look for the brand I purchased online, I believe it was under $25

modified%20panel%20with%20android.jpg

The iPad mount
iPad mount.jpg

The iPad mount with the mini

The other nice feature is it is easy to see in the sun.

Last edited:
Update to the iPad mini mounting in my RV12

I found it on Amazon $17.95 :D

ipad2.png

I turned the adjustable hinge 180 degrees since it mounts upside down. Jim hope that helps as one option.

Could you provide an image of your tablet mount solution? I am currently evaluating which position is best to integrate my tablet to the panel. The upper part of the middle console will be occupied by back-up analog instruments (air speed and altimeter)
I first considered installing the tablet somewhere below throttle and choke levers, but it won't be ergonomic and safe to always move the head down.

Go here: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=BigJohn&project=639&category=0&log=167921&row=38 to see picture.

Thanks everyone for the input...

I went out to the plane yesterday and held the iPad below the panel edge in both in portrait and landscape orientations. I then moved the unit up so the top edge covers my inop switches as stated in my second post above and I like it in this position. It will be angled approximately 45 degrees. The mount will be a piece of 0.062 x 4" x 10" aluminum. A 2" x 4? wide lip will be bent at 45 degrees to hold the plastic iPad mounting tray. The tray will be attached to the aluminum with 3M double-sided foam tape and a couple of small flathead screws. The remaining 8" straight section will be fastened to the bottom of the avionics bay with a couple of long strips of Velcro. This will allow me to remove the entire assembly with ease. The top edge of the plastic tray will have foam tape on the backside to allow the unit to press against the instrument panel and not scuff the painted surface. This should absorb vibration as well. I?ll post some pictures of the final configuration in the next couple of days.

Jim,

I would not recommend locating your I-pad in a fixed 45 degree position. As sun angles change, it is nice to be able to slightly alter the tilt of the screen to reduce glare. I used a ram suction cup mount, mounted under the panel, with a series of adjustable arms. When I get around to it, I will replace the suction cup mount with a fixed ball mount. On long cross-country's I've had the suction cup mount release.

Regards,

Jim,

I use an iPad Mini too. I installed the Vans glare shield and attached a RAM ball to the bottom surface using an aluminum plate on the top surface for reinforcement. I use the 6" arm. It has worked great for the last two years.

I Haven't had the best of luck posting photos, but if you send me a PM with your email address I'll send you some pics when I get back in town on Monday.

Rich

I made the 4” wide aluminum mounting plate as described in my post above. The iPad is mounted in portrait orientation. iPad covers INOP switches and Avionics switch that I always leave powered on. Nice sturdy mount and easily removable with Velcro under the avionics bay. Should be good-to-go. Weather not good for flying today...

2qn1649.jpg

5u1ug6.jpg

xp1sgg.jpg

1gpz7s.jpg

John
Do you have more info on your iPad mount? Looks like a swivel piano hinge mount of some sort with what i would guess to be an adjustable arm for angle? Mounted over the glove box?

And this - -

Pull pin and remove. Used 3 screws already there. No new holes. Folds back out of way for passenger. Very happy with it. Angle is what I wanted.

Being cheap...

The OtterBox case for my iPad Mini came with a cover/stand it snaps into.

I put some 3M SuperLock tape on the back - think heavy duty Velcro.

To that I attached two 1" R.A.M. balls, which I already had.

I happened to use suction cups attached to my canopy, but once you have R.A.M. balls attached to something, the options are endless.

I'll see if I can find photos.

Here's the idea, with one R.A.M. ball at first:

11310034163_d228c11eac_z.jpg

A second ball made everything much more secure, "triangulating" the mount:

11345706195_5c208242a5_z.jpg

End result:

17717764660_c64289dea5_z.jpg

IPad for RV 12

I find that a RAM suction mount for my iPad mini attached to the open real estate on the right panel works fine. Very rarely does the suction cup fail; and if it does it?s no problem to reattach it. Plus, I have a 12 volt plug at the floor level between the seats that allows me to keep the iPad fully charged. The RAM mount enables perfect placement. The iPad mini is a newer model that has astounding anti-glare properties. Coupled to a Stratus 2 the Dynon ADSB-out talks to Foreflight providing weather and traffic. I also use a RAM iPhone mount on the left canopy that enables me to position the phone at a perfect angle for the bifocals I wear to see detail of the sectional. I tend to set both the Dynon and the iPad to terrain view (aeronautical view on the iPad) because it?s easier to see traffic without the relative clutter of the sectional view.

You might want to consider a magnetic charger USB charging transfer cable - $8 on eBay. If the suction cup fails and the unit drops to the floor the cable will disconnect and not damage the charging port. Also, if/when someone climbs in the airplane with clumsy feet and steps on the charging card it will disconnect and not rip the connector out of the iPad.

You might want to consider a magnetic charger USB charging transfer cable - $8 on eBay. If the suction cup fails and the unit drops to the floor the cable will disconnect and not damage the charging port. Also, if/when someone climbs in the airplane with clumsy feet and steps on the charging card it will disconnect and not rip the connector out of the iPad.

Didn't even know this existed for ipads although I've thought about it many times since I have a few Mac laptops that have used magnetic charging cables forever.

Back