What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N82SE Flies!

TX7A

Well Known Member
It's been almost a week now, so I guess I better make a post on the forum.
N82SE left the ground for the first time on Thursday, April 30. To say the least, it was an exhilarating experience; none like I've ever had. Although I had a couple of squawks, the plane flew very well. I made three laps around the pattern and landed. One of the squawks was that I had no airspeed indication. (I've already been admonished for continuing the flight. :eek: ) The engine was making good power & I continued on using GPS groundspeed. Although I did make a good landing, I came in a little 'hot' just to be on the safe side. After eleven years, it was a great day.:)

FF9.jpg

Gee Sam, didn't know someone in Abilene was building a 7A! I would have been knocking and hounding you for advice! Great job! Maybe we can get together after phase 1!

Prof that it can be done!

Great to see that one can actually finish one of these great little birds, Congratulations!

Thanks for the motivation and such a great pic!

Well done, Sam!
I also had no airspeed on my first flight, but you apparently handled it just fine. Congrats, Sir. No the real fun begins. :cool:

There was a newly minted commercial pilot doing a charter sight seeing tour in a C172 near here in Montreal. His airspeed failed when he was 1/2 away from the airport. He panicked, called a mayday and landed on a major 4 lane highway because he thought it was safer (!).

Since landing is probably the riskiest part of flying without an airspeed indicator, whether you do it instantly or in 10 min I don't see any difference. Its not like things got more and more dangerous the longer you flew, assuming you sort of level and not full throttle etc. Hopefull you had an instructor that taught you to landing with no airspeed indicator without fear. You did just fine. Very happy for you.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the nice comments & encouragement. Without a doubt, I had an abundance of help. Not only from my local friends, but the great help I received on this forum. What a great way to share ideas. I've had people see something I did on my plane & say, "what a good idea". Of course I have to confess to them that I shamelessly copied it from someone on the forum.

Thank you Doug, for the great website / forum.

Back