What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O360-A4N

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Anybody flying behind one of these? I'm looking at one for my 7 and am wondering how these work with the vans cowl and engine mount? I do realize this is a solid crank engine, I was planning on going fixed pitch anyways and the price is right. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks for the replys.

I purchased a used engine (200 hp angle valve) that I was not sure about the fit under the cowl. I scoured everything Van's had on their website but could not find a difinitive answer. I had not discovered this forum at the time. I finally picked up the phone and contacted Vans support and they were very familiar with my engine and said it'd be no problem at all. I plan to finish up on my cowling this week and I can say my engine fits fine. You might give them a call.

I tried them, not a lot of help. All they said was "we've never used one... we use the O-360-A1A. You will have to emulate this motor, generally engine mount and carb/sump locations are critical elements".

Im hoping someone chimes in who is flying, or knows someone flying with one. I'll have to dig into the locations of the "critical elements" a little further on my own.

O-360-A4N
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A4M except that it has a non-machined propeller governor pad on left front of crankcase.

Same as a -A4M that I currently use on my -9A. No modifications were necessary. Dan

Back