What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-704/F-772/F-776 double flush rivets, DWG 28

wirejock

Well Known Member
There are five rivets on either side shown on the plans with a note to install them double flush with shop head on the inside.
Question. What is the correct method to do this?
I'm guessing, don't dimple the skins. Countersink the two skins through the two layers on the outside when they get assembled and countersink the inside of the bulkhead flange?

Also, why double flush? Is there something going in the place on the inside and the flange needs to be flush?

16jrpxy.jpg

Last edited:
Your method is how I did mine. The reasoning is that they MAY interfere with the landing gear weldment. Some have found they did, some had no issues. I did it to be safe.

Chris

Double flush is needed for a 7A

Hi Larry,

The double flush rivets are needed to have a flush surface inside for the main gear mount in the 7A, as noted. No dimple; I countersunk both sides (by hand on the inside). I assume we do it just like the rudder trailing edge. The 7 doesn't require it, but the plans recommend that it would facilitate a conversion to a nose dragger if desired in the future ...

... but why would you want to? ;-)

Last edited:
The 7 doesn't require it, but the plans recommend it would facilitate a conversion to a nose dragger if desired in the future ...

... but why would you want to? ;-)
I feel the same way, but I'm still making the accommodations... just in case whoever buys it after I'm dead wants to.

:)

Thanks

I feel the same way, but I'm still making the accommodations... just in case whoever buys it after I'm dead wants to.

:)

Thanks everyone.
That's funny. I am making accommodations to do the opposite. 7a to 7.

Thanks everyone.
That's funny. I am making accommodations to do the opposite. 7a to 7.

Well, yeah, for when you come to your senses, man.

I kid!! For the record, don't ever take anything I say seriously. At least not something non-technical and not safety related. I have zero tailwheel time, my building a 7 is a huge leap of faith.

Lary, your building a 7? No nose gear? as mentioned those are DbL flush for clearance of the main gear weldment on a 7A.

Model

Lary, your building a 7? No nose gear? as mentioned those are DbL flush for clearance of the main gear weldment on a 7A.

No Bret. I'm building a 7a. But I am thinking ahead in case I swap ends. So far only one minor change. I didn't trim the bars on F-711 bulkhead per 7a plans so the tail wheel parts can be installed later.

Well, yeah, for when you come to your senses, man.

I kid!! For the record, don't ever take anything I say seriously. At least not something non-technical and not safety related. I have zero tailwheel time, my building a 7 is a huge leap of faith.

Dale
You're supposed to be giving me tips! Don't stop the jokes. The world needs funny.:D

Back