What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

modular panel radio stack & F-7108A

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm doing some work on my panel making slow but steady progress. I'm using an Affordable Panels modular panel kit. It's mostly going well. I had to trim the left support rib, F-7107-L a little to clear my annunciator lights but that was relatively easy.

The problem i'm having is figuring out the area where the F-7108A center rib mates with the panel frame. Since I don't have the top skin yet I can't figure out exactly how all of the pieces fit together. I'm doing the "Stack-3" configuration with the standard mounting tab cut away.

Problem 1: The center plate installation instructions show the addition of a small piece of 3/4" angle to relocate the rib mounting point. I get the idea in concept but the drawing shows it on the flange side of the rib. Plus i don't see how a nut plate could be installed on that small piece of angle. I'm thinking to use a similar approach but with 1" angle on the side opposite of the flange.

Problem2: The radio mounting rails seem to interfere with the F-7108A rib. Does the rib fit inside the rail or does the rail need to shortened to clear the rib?

Problem 3: I have a GMC-305 on the top of my stack then the audio panel. It seems like i'm going to have to trim the rib for the audio panel.

Problem 4: As others have noted the comm unit extends forward into the sub-panel. I will have to cut a clearance hole in the sub-panel. Are there any issues with this cutout being close to the F-7108A clearance slots in the sub-panel?

Does anyone have some pics of the rear of their panel that would help me figure it out.

Last edited:
Back