What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Adjustment

RV7 Bruno

Having some problems with the ailerons. When flying if you let go of the stick she does a drastic hard right turn. You can also see they are not centered when on the ground. I would hate to loose aileron control while in the air. Any information would be great.

Have you followed the rigging instructions in the plans? They will find a natural center. You probably have a heavy wing or other problem. Example pants, fairings etc out of alignment.

Having some problems with the ailerons. When flying if you let go of the stick she does a drastic hard right turn. You can also see they are not centered when on the ground. I would hate to loose aileron control while in the air. Any information would be great.

Check vertical height of ailerons. Slot the aileron bracket holes and move aileron vertically relative to the wing, it is written up in the Vans heavy wing document.

After doing all the steps in Vans letter I still had a very heavy right wing. Here are my notes from process.

I tried to fix the heavy right wing by lowering the outboard end of the left aileron by .080 but it made it worse. So I returned everything to where it was.

I removed the right aileron and milled the brackets to drop the aileron .060 and put it all back together.

A short flight tonight confirmed that lowering the right aileron corrected the heavy wing. I got lucky and it turned out perfect.

Thanks everyone. I have over 500 hours on the plane. This is a new problem. I thought maybe it had something to do with my auto pilot.

Update Please

We too have a left wing that has suddenly become heavy and requires lots of right trim.

What did your problem turn out to be? Maybe we are having the same problem.

Any sudden change in roll trim when no rigging changes have been made is likely caused by a shape change in an aileron (this can happen by someone aggressively squeezing one of your ailerons).

Use a straight edge to check for proper trailing edge shape as described in paragraph 5.7 in THIS document.

Any sudden change in roll trim when no rigging changes have been made is likely caused by a shape change in an aileron (this can happen by someone aggressively squeezing one of your ailerons).

Use a straight edge to check for proper trailing edge shape as described in paragraph 5.7 in THIS document.

Priming Control tubes ?????

If you have the typical Ray Allen roll trim, double-check the rigging under the seats. You might have a broken spring or safety wire. These are what keep the controls centered on the ground as well as in the air.

Back