What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Seats

dave4754

Well Known Member
Has anoyone built their own seats? I had planned on buying the Classic Aero but found a great upholstery here in Spruce Grove Alberta Canada.

I would like to give him the job but unsure as to what dimensions work the best, have any of you done that already or thought of it.

My apologies to the sponsors of this page but this could save me a few hundred dollars on shipping.

Thanks for replies.

I covered Vans Seat foam for a RV7. Foam I think was $350, material around $100. Saved him a few bucks, gave me some more experience to practice on.

Any local upholstery shop shouldn't have much issue, if they need to make foam I suggest cutting it first and sitting on it to see if you like it before they cover it.

I was planning to use a combination of memory foam and something more sturdy wrapped with leather from a local shop.

Haven't priced the leather or shop but the foam can be purchased at wally world.

I did my own, I did custom memory foam on the bottom, band saw works great for trimming foam. started with a set of pedi chair black leather-pleather cushions.

Oregon Aero?

You could get the Oregon Aero seats (ask for SnF discount) and get your local person to cover them and match other interior.

Edit: it was only $25 to ship a pair of OA seats to the midwest. I was surprised it was so thrifty. UPS too.

Last edited:
Great Response..... thanks

Thanks Guys for all the great info and tips, the one including of Vans foam seats and have finished here is probably tops for now. You all know how this goes though you sit and stare at the thing and suddenly many more questions arise eh? So you never know maybe Walmart and memory foam will win yet!

It will get covered locally with all this advice. Dont get me wrong the advertisers here make great products but every dollar in shipping I save(Extra FEDEX charges going over Cdn border as well..ouch)gets sucked up in needed instruments etc.

This thing is getting exciting now as the QB fuse advanced my build by at least a couple hundred hours and by fall the plane should be standing on her wheels with the engine installed.(Engine presently being repaired and looked at locally)

Thanks again for such a great forum and help!

Upgrading seat foam advice

Hello VAF friends;
My 7A first flew in 2004 - and has the standard Vans seat foam from that time. Seat coverings are still looking good - but I'm thinking about updating the seats for increased comfort. My wife and I use our RV for trips; 2-3 hr legs, 5-6 hrs/day. I weigh 170# and am 5'8" - so I use the wedge and booster cushions (Mrs. uses wedge & booster too).
I'm looking for feedback from those of you who started out with the Vans seat foam and then switched to Oregon Aero, Flightline Interiors, Classic Aero, etc.. Is there a noticeable difference in comfort? Has Vans upgraded his seat foam/design since 2003?
Thanking you for your advice.

Memory Foam

I can't speak to the difference between foams but I can say that my Flightline memory foam seats are very comfortable. The longest legs I have flown are 4 hrs but was comfortable to the end. One point to note is that the foam becomes very cold and hard in the cold winters of Canada...like sitting on a cement floor. I installed a Flyboy seat heater in the seat bottoms of both sides sandwiched in the middle of the memory foam (Abby offered to install for free if I sent the cushions back, but shipping too expensive). The heater makes the seat very comfortable (warm and soft) after a few minutes even in the cold. Start on high and switch to low when comfortable. FWIW
Al

Back