- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 AM

Default Rubber padding that keep birds out of your cowl

Went out to go flying yesterday. Found the left air intake by the cylinder jammed full of leaves, twigs and other junk. Obviously, a bird building a nest. (And it's in a hangar)Where does one find those rubber pad thingies you use to keep the birds out? I checked Aircraft Spruce---no luck.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 AM

Bruce's Custom Covers sells a very nice set of cowl plugs.
RV6 #20477 completed 1991 sold.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 250+ hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600 QUICK Panel.
Manual Flaps. KOXC Oxford, CT
1941 J3 Cub skis,floats.
2019 dues gladly paid.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 AM

One glues a few chunks of sliced pool noodle into a bigger chunk, then carves same to fit cowl inlet as a plug. One can if desired secure a rope between the two plugs with knotted ends.

Alternatively, one can line the inlets with packing tape and fashion plugs from expanding foam with a rope lanyard foamed in place.

I have done both. #2 fits more snugly since it is a custom mold. No pics for now, but probably not necessary.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Went out to go flying yesterday. Found the left air intake by the cylinder jammed full of leaves, twigs and other junk. Obviously, a bird building a nest. (And it's in a hangar)Where does one find those rubber pad thingies you use to keep the birds out? I checked Aircraft Spruce---no luck.
From Vans at https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...uct=cowl_plugs

Pazmany PL-1 N2029 (bought & sold)
RV7 - N537TC (reserved & building)
Emp, Wings & Fuse done - working on FWF

"The air is an extremely dangerous, jealous and exacting mistress. Once under the spell most lovers are faithful to the end, which is not always old age." - Winston Churchill
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Default This works

This works for me. I only use it when away from home. You may want to upgrade the factory covering (package it comes in) to an old bread bag or something better if left out for long periods of time. I'm all about fancy!
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/det...031?Ntt=sponge
Old 06-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Default for outdoors

I use a couple of the 'fancy' car wash sponges ( $4) with the grippy thing on one side, and the terrycloth on the other side.
bonus, if it's bright green, so you don't miss it on your, ahem, thorough pre-flight! the sun eventually fades the colour, so the frugal of us turn the thing over ....for another year!

bonus#2, you can wash/wax your plane with it!
Old 06-25-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLPete View Post
This works for me. I only use it when away from home. You may want to upgrade the factory covering (package it comes in) to an old bread bag or something better if left out for long periods of time. I'm all about fancy!
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/det...031?Ntt=sponge

I've used these as well, sans the plastic bag. On the down side, they aren't bright colored or have flags that stick up into view from the cockpit or even have a rope between them that would pull them out if you start without removing them. On the UP side, IF you should miss them on pre-flight, they will either blow into the upper cowling area or stay sort of in place. Either way, they're quite porous and will allow enough air flow to not bring you out of the sky. In fact, you might not even notice warmer CHT or oil temps. Or so I've been told........ By a friend......... But it sure wasn't me!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:36 AM

Default El Cheapo sponges fit perfectly in my cowl intakes, keeps that same pesky bird out

HA! I went to Walmart. Got 2 sponges that are absolutely a perfect fit in my cowl intakes. It's like they were made for an RV 8. $1.99 each. All I have to do now is tie a couple of red "do not fly" streamers to each one, and I'm good to go. I love cheap.

I'd post pictures, but I always have a heck of a time trying to do that.

Last edited by donaziza : 06-28-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
HA! I went to Walmart. Got 2 sponges that are absolutely a perfect fit in my cowl intakes. It's like they were made for an RV 8. $1.99 each. All I have to do now is tie a couple of red "do not fly" streamers to each one, and I'm good to go. I love cheap.
I like having both foam plugs connected to each other with a rope that is draped over the spinner. I suspect starting the engine with the plugs in place would result in them being jerked out by the prop blades.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM

After a dirt dobber (hey, it's Mississippi; dauber wasp to you guys north of the Willie Dixon Line) built a giant incubation suite in my -4's carb inlet, I improvised with a chunk of carpet foam and some nylon twine. With a loop tied on the end of the twine and looped onto a prop blade, it's a failsafe for when uh.. IF one forgets to remove it. It does work. I'm told. :-)

The -6 I just bought came with cowl & induction plugs, but no cord connecting them. I just ordered some paracord to connect them, so I'll have the 'auto-remove' feature.

BTW, that dauber nest incident happened inside a closed hangar. I caught another trying to build in the pilot side fresh air inlet of the -6, within days after we purchased it. If you live in the southern USA, be careful.