VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Default Precision Approaches-GTN650/Skyview

I am relatively new to the Dynon Skview Classic and GTN 650W combo. I've recently completed phase 1 so I think it's safe to say I'm still a novice with these particular systems. My day job however has allowed me to log a few thousand hours behind a G1000 and at least one hundred precision approaches so I know what lateral and vertical guidance during an approach should look it. While attempting to fly an LPV in my -8 (in VFR conditions), I was not able to bring up vertical guidance on my Skyview PFD. I spoke with a Dynon representative who advised the Pathways need to be activated to do so. This doesn't exactly make sense to me as I'm talking about the vertical guidance (diamond) to the right of the HSI on the PFD. Plus, I don't particularly like to fly with the pathways activated. My HSI source is set to the Garmin and my lateral guidance works appropriately. I am hoping that someone out there has worked through this issue so I don't have to re-nvent the wheel, again...
Thanks in advance!!!
Dues Exempt
Dues up to date
Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Did you press the VNAV button on the Dynon before intercepting the vertical path? Basically, think of the Dynon as only doing what it's told by the 650, but you have to enable the VNAV function first. I think what the Dynon rep may been telling you (and using perhaps the wrong term) is to enable VNAV. You don't have to have HITS enabled
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM

Mark, thanks for the response. VNAV is an autopilot function. I'm just talking about what the 650 is sending to the Skyview while hand flying. I am not receiving vertical guidance (LPV Approach) on the Skyview display.
Dues Exempt
Dues up to date
Old 05-07-2019, 04:53 PM

He is right. Hit vnav and the vertical guidance tape appears and gives the guidance. You don’t have to activate the ap.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

...and hitting VNAV will give you flight director vertical steering if you’re hand-flying the needles/bat wings (autopilot deselected). If you also selected NAV, you’ll have lateral/roll mode steering for the approach.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B with Danny King “Beautiful Doll’s” old Hartzell CS prop, dual PMAGs, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePo4.
Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com. Smoke by Smoke System Helper.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2019 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 AM

Another perhaps oversimplified way to look at it is that the FD is the "brains" and the AP is the "muscle". All those modes are really to command the FD and the FD in turn tells the AP what to do
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Guys, thanks for the input. On one LPV approach I had the AP on and Nav and VNAV selected (since there is no APPR button). No Vnav reference displayed. It could be user error as I said I’m still new to Dynon. I will try it again my next opportunity. I will also try an ILS. Do any of you remember having to do any specific configuring? My FD and AP will provide IAS or VS climbs or descents. It seems getting approach vertical guidance is the only issue. If you have any specific advise feel free to PM me and I’ll reach out.
Thanks, DG
Dues Exempt
Dues up to date
Old 05-09-2019, 06:23 PM

I know of no setting on either the 650 or the Skyview that affects the glidepath functionality. If Skyview is getting guidance from the 650, your ARINC hookup would appear to be properly set up.

Assuming that you have activated the approach, it should show the glidepath indicator after you press the VNAV button. Notice I said "after" instead of "when" because for some reason, the Skyview delays showing the glidepath indicator until you get close to the glidepath. Like you, I have a bit of time in front of G1000s in a Bonanza and Cirrus. Pressing the APR button brings up the glidepath indicator immediately. In my first couple of LPV approaches with the Skyview, I pressed the VNAV button, it illuminated but no glidepath indicator. I must have punched that button 3 times and finally just left it punched and rode the approach in and voila, it finally popped up in time to ride the glidepath down. I am not sure what the logic is and why they delay showing that indicator but it's maddening. If you haven't tried it, just enable VNAV and fly the approach in and see if it will finally come up. If it doesn't, I would contact Dynon support and ask them what to do.

Just want until you hook up on a localizer approach and lose the localizer signal temporarily. instead of staying in VLOC mode, it switches to TRK mode without alerting you...so after the localizer signal comes back and you might think it would recapture it, well, you'd be wrong. It stays in TRK mode. Going to TRK mode when you lose the localizer makes sense, but it would be really nice if Skyview would alert you when that happens.
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Default An important question

Denver,
Forgive me, but to ensure we're not all assuming what may (or may not) be obvious, please allow me this question:

Do you have the GTN650 and SkyView connected through an ARINC module? Something like Dynon's SV-ARINC-429 module, which puts both the Garmin and Dynon units on a common language?

If you said so earlier, forgive me...sorry, I missed it.

If not, then this may be your problem. Adding the SV-ARINC-429 module allowed my GTN650 to interface with my SkyView Classic flight director and autopilot settings, giving me all the green and magenta needle and glideslope guidance (green needle LOC/ILS and magenta needle LPV).

If you do have the ARINC module, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Walt?

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper, YIO-360M1B with Danny King “Beautiful Doll’s” old Hartzell CS prop, dual PMAGs, dual SkyView, GTN-650, VPX, EarthX LiFePo4.
Nose Art by VictoryGirl.com. Smoke by Smoke System Helper.
90% done, 90% to go...
www.mykitlog.com/scrollf4/

Proud and grateful 2019 -=VAF=- Contributor
Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 AM

And with it configured through the ARINC-429 module, then under the PFD menu, under the HSI Source button, do you have the 650 selected as the HSI source?