- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Fluting F-768B outboard sub-panel flanges

Tip-up configuration. My outboard (curved) sub-panel flanges don't lay flat on a flat table at all. I assume I should be fluting these to straighten them and line the holes up prior to fitting the skin, but 1. the plans don't call it out, and 2. I don't see any other builder's logs that mentioned having to do this step. Are my flanges just unusually warped from the factory?

Donated 1/2/2019
RV-7A: Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage in progress!
N12VD reserved!
Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 PM

You probably only need to flute the tab with 3 rivet holes such that the 3 holes line up.
Use the seamer so the flange angle matches the top skin angle and that should be enough.
Sydney, AUS
Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM

This is a good time to think about the instrument panel layout and if you are going to reposition the subpanel to instrument panel supports. If you are doing dual HDX or G3 you will need to cut the supports off at the subpanel and move them inboard to clear the displays. If you move them either side of the radio stack ( if you put the radio stack in the center of the instrument panel) that will work out well. I put a small angle bend in the three sub panel parts along a line between the upper longerons. This provides some stability and stiffness to the sub panel when all is installed and provides a better overall fit (at least it did for my build).
KT
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM

Default Fluting

Don't worry about laying flat. Flute so the holes line up.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/27/2018. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:10 PM

I also recommend waiting until after dimpling to check the scenario again. Dimpling can sometimes cause a bow over a long piece, especially if it's straight.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 AM

Thanks! I very lightly fluted the parts in order to line up the holes, and everything fits fine. Installed the skin temporarily and everything lines up so I guess I didn't need to worry.

keitht: Yes, I already discovered here on VAF about how one must re-locate those supports to fit 10" displays on the panel. I do not yet have a panel design so not sure where the radio stack will be and where the displays will be yet, but it looks like I'm going to need to decide soon.

Also, am I the only one irritated that the plans have you fit and drill that F-697 "hat" channel, but they don't include it in the Fuselage kit? It's in the finishing kit for whatever reason! Future builders: Have them add that piece to your Fuselage kit order.
Donated 1/2/2019
RV-7A: Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage in progress!
N12VD reserved!
Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Hat channel

When installed my radios the hat channel interfered with the installation. I had to cut an opening in the sub panel due to the length of the radios and their harness. That included cutting some of the hat channel away as well. Doable with a dremel but it would have nice to know before I riveted it.

Here is a link to my build log with an image of the sub panel.

http://mykitlog.com/users/display_lo...=235836&row=10

Last edited by sahrens : 06-26-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 AM

The hat channel needs to be trimmed to length and an aperture cut in the mid sub panel for any of the Garmin radios to fit in the center area of the panel. Any time you go “off plans” it is a big deal that involves more than first imagined. I had to drill out the rivets for the hat section twice to trim parts to fit for my radio installation.

KT