VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 PM

Last night I was doing my BFR, my instructor was surprised at the glide ratio. On approach into KSNA, she ask if we could glide to the airport. I was 2.4 nm from the threshold at 1160 feet agl with a 7 knot headwind (just looked at the datalog). We made it with 10 feet to spare. That is a 11.9:1 glide ratio.

What a great plane! An RV-7 with a three-blade Catto fixed pitch prop. Best glide at mid weight is 80 KIAS.
Flying, but not done, never done.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM

From my experience that glide ratio may be a little optimistic since the engine is running and probably putting out some thrust. When you shut down the engine and stop the prop it may not be as good. I did an engine and prop stopped on my 12 at best glide speed of 60 knots and got 10.3:1, less than the generally recognized ratio of 13:1. The 12 wing airfoil should be more efficient in glide than the 7.

Since I just finished a 7A I am interested in any real numbers. Reviews of others POH charts shows glide ranges of about 1 nm per 1000' for a ratio of 6.4-7.2:1 depending upon the prop position.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmillhouse View Post
From my experience that glide ratio may be a little optimistic since the engine is running and probably putting out some thrust.
I just looked at the datalog. The engine was turning between 950 to 1050 rpm which is higher than my idle speed (about 700) so I assume the engine was being backdriven. So I would expect my drag to be higher than a stopped prop, but lower than a windmilling prop.
Flying, but not done, never done.