VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 PM

I made some new friends in Johnson Creek, we donīt have these kind of airfields in Europe and this was a real new experience. I might try another field in Idaho soon.

Sunday I set off for an airport near Seattle and initially only made it to Yakima KYKM. I took the opportunity and refueled while I was there. Checked the weather, but it didnīt look right over the Cascade Mountains. A friend was waiting and gave me very accurate weather updates and recommendations. I set off and initially didnīt follow his advice hoping for a shortcut. I ended up going south again (he was right) and in fact lost some time. At least I past Mt. Rainier and got some pics. Finally landed at Arlington KAWO late afternoon.

Next morning we met at Arlington for Breakfast, chatted a bit - you guess about what - and flew to Friday Harbor FHR. He in his Bonanza and I followed in my -8i. Some more aviation talk there and I was very impressed about his aviation knowledge. Whatever I asked there was an immediate answer or explanation. He is a real aviation expert!! And he offered me a hangar in Boulder City should I pass there - I will.

I ended up today in Anacortes 74S.

Saturday evening at Johnson Creek

Bruce Williams with his Bonanza and me with my RV-8i

RV-8 flying, IO-375, P-Mags, 74RV Prop

Last edited by SuperCubDriver : 06-25-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Wow, what a nice adventure, thanks for sharing!
To see someone who has the plane, the time and the courage for
making such a trip pushes me even more to pull the trigger for my project one day.
As I‘m also from Germany, is your plane certified for IFR or are you officially crossing the Atlantic VFR?

Thanks and always happy landings!

Simon
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Default Every day getīs better

Now - in Anacortes I met Ken Krueger. He offered me his hangar and tools for an inspection and oil change - and dinner and a bed!
We didnīt have the right oil filter so this morning I flew to Skagik KBVS to get one. When I landed I saw a B-25 and a B-17 on the apron and got very excited. I jumped out of the plane and headed towards "the show" and asked if I could pull my plane in front of their`s for some pics. A very warm "welcome, any time" was the reply and they moved some visitors to the side. I made a donation, looked at these beautiful planes from any angle and of course got my pictures. Here are some of them:

I almost forgot the oil filter !!!

Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM

What a a great Adventure, Thanks for letting us experience it with you!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:02 PM

Looks like I missed you by a day! I'm the lucky guy that flew the B-17 into Skagit; we arrived into BVS at 1115 Monday morning coming in from Idaho Falls. The weather over the mountains was indeed a bit murky; we were VFR northwest bound at 8500' until almost over Arlington, then found a good hole in the broken layer to spiral down. We orbited Arlington to wait for the B-25 to join up, then made a pass over Anacortes followed by a loose formation 2-ship arrival into Skagit. What a great day of flying! Would've been cool to have your Baby Mustang with us as "Little Friends" top cover.

My Rainier pic looks kinda like yours;

Your trip is just a fantastic adventure, and I'm somewhat in awe; to fly from Germany, cross the Atlantic in an RV-8 and wind up in Seattle just blows me away. I live just a wee bit closer, Texas, and I still haven't had my RV-8 as far as the Pacific Northwest; I'm a tremendous slacker! Then again, if I dialed back a bit on the warbird fun maybe I'd have time to do that. Tradeoffs I guess...

Buzz Lightyear approves of this trip report! And he wants to see more cool pics from along the way.
Houston, TX

VAF donation Dec 2018

Last edited by jbDC9 : 07-02-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 AM

I have to say this is fantastic!
A real enthusiasm boost to start a day in the workshop.
Keep updating, and safe flying!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 AM

That is so cool! We were standing at Arlington field watching you circle the airport on Monday morning hoping you were going to land there. Unfortunately you didnīt.
And it would be a blast for me to fly alongside a B-17 in my "Little RV-8".

Iīll pass Texas in about 10 days, where is the CAF based?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCubDriver View Post
Now - in Anacortes I met Ken Krueger. He offered me his hangar and tools for an inspection and oil change - and dinner and a bed!
We didnīt have the right oil filter so this morning I flew to Skagik KBVS to get one. When I landed I saw a B-25 and a B-17 on the apron and got very excited. I jumped out of the plane and headed towards "the show" and asked if I could pull my plane in front of their`s for some pics. A very warm "welcome, any time" was the reply and they moved some visitors to the side. I made a donation, looked at these beautiful planes from any angle and of course got my pictures. Here are some of them:

I almost forgot the oil filter !!!
My sister is a crew member on that B25!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Default Waaam

Considering where you are today you should go to Hood River to the
WAAAM museum. A friend and I hit eight museums while picking up a kit. WAAAM was by far the best.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:09 AM

Every day is exciting here.
This morning Ken suggested to fly and get breakfast somewhere, he chosed Jefferson 0S9. We departed in loose formation, made a touch and go at Everett Paine Field and met Ken´s friends with an RV-7A at the Spruce Goose coffee. After breakfast we were all on our own and I departed for Aurora/Oregon to get a picture of my RV-8 in front of the Vans factory. I was greeted and waved in by Daryl. Van, THE BOSS himself showed up and we made some pics, he then left and went soaring in his glider - there were the typical cumulus clouds on the sky the glider pilots are usually hunting. I was allowed to use the hangar at Vans Aircraft for my stay, what a nice gesture.
Bruce Eicher came to greet me and took the risk and borrowed me his car for shopping as I was running out of clothes. I didn´t know he is a perfect cook, I got the long promised perfect steak!

Ken and me on final RWY 16R at Paine Field

Three RV´s for breakfast

With THE BOSS and Daryl in Aurora/KUAO