Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 PM

Default Sparying joints with CorrosionX

Hello everyone,
i am still trying to figure out the best way to handle a QB kit in salty/humid area.
since QB wings/fuselage are already rivetted, spraing 2 part epoxy will miss the most important areas which are the ribs joints and other.
reading about CorrosionX struck me with an idea, so internally spray 2 part epoxy over all internal parts which are pre-sprayed with P60G2, and to prevent corrosion in the joints, to spary water resistant lube such as CorrosionX on the joints.
Does it makes sense at all?

Thanks
Oren.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:20 PM

If you plan to paint the plane, do not apply Corrosion-X. Wait until after painting.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
If you plan to paint the plane, do not apply Corrosion-X. Wait until after painting.
Hi,can you explain?
My intention was for the internal ribs of the wing for example. Does it make sense to spray ? And what is the difference between spraying before paint or after?

Thanks
Oren
Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Default CorrosionX

It is a great product...

BUT

DO NOT APPLY IT PRIOR TO PAINT.

If you do, the structure will weep for a long time and the paint will not stick to the treated surfaces.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 06-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
It is a great product...

BUT

DO NOT APPLY IT PRIOR TO PAINT.

If you do, the structure will weep for a long time and the paint will not stick to the treated surfaces.
Thanks Bob
I was planning on doing all internals of the wing qb with 2 part epoxy, and spray over the epoxy at the joints, to avoid moisture in the joints which I cant apply the epoxy primer.
Any chance it will dissolve the primer?
Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Default Can't say

I honestly can't say if it will affect the primer.

I'm not sure as to why you would put CorrosionX over epoxy primer, though. If you are going to spray the epoxy, it is going to form a seal over the joints and the CorrosionX will not be able to penetrate the joints.

You do know that the QB assemblies are primed with P60G2, right?

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 PM

Default 12 to 24 months

I thought I remember reading that corrosion x only provides protection for 1 to 2 years before it becomes neutralized and ineffective..so like they are all saying, wait until after final paint. Prime whatever you want now, but if you corrosion x anything, youíll probably regret it when paint time comes!
Baby Lakes flying
Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
I honestly can't say if it will affect the primer.

I'm not sure as to why you would put CorrosionX over epoxy primer, though. If you are going to spray the epoxy, it is going to form a seal over the joints and the CorrosionX will not be able to penetrate the joints.

You do know that the QB assemblies are primed with P60G2, right?
I thought about spraying CorroionX, since i was looking for a flexible material. i am concerned that after spraying the epoxy, with the aircraft rattling, the epoxy in the joints will crack i read that boeshield t-9 for example, leaves a flex invisible trace.

as for the P60G2, as i live 2 miles from the coast line, i am seeing 5-6 years metal aircarft with corrosion. not sure what they were primed with , but I am concerned that the P60G2 is not a good enough protection .

Thanks!
Oren.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren_rokach View Post
I thought about spraying CorroionX, since i was looking for a flexible material. i am concerned that after spraying the epoxy, with the aircraft rattling, the epoxy in the joints will crack i read that boeshield t-9 for example, leaves a flex invisible trace.

as for the P60G2, as i live 2 miles from the coast line, i am seeing 5-6 years metal aircarft with corrosion. not sure what they were primed with , but I am concerned that the P60G2 is not a good enough protection .

Thanks!
Oren.
If you feel that you must use Corrosion-X (a good product) on your airplane, make sure to use it AFTER your exterior paint job is finished, as others have said above - or your paint job will be a nightmare....

Iíve seen older airplanes that were treated with Corrosion-X, then later stripped and painted, and there was always issues with the stuff seeping out of k=joints and causing paint problems.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com