What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lead Time Accuracy

Muuvie

I'm New Here
Hi! New user here. I've come to the conclusion my best bet for aircraft ownership is a self-built RV, which is why I am here. After some thorough soul searching, I've managed to make my mission more reasonable. Instead of the do-it-all profile with the all the bells and whistles, I've realized I only want a VFR 'for fun' plane. I've switched my intent from the RV-8 to the RV-3. I was just about done pricing out my order when I made the switch. Moving onto the RV-3, I see that the supposed lead times for those kits are in the 6-8 month range, vs. weeks for the RV-8. It does say that's an estimate, does anyone have the latest scoop on how current those estimates are? Out of convenience, I may just switch back to the RV-8 because I'd like to get started during the winter months rather then go through the initial frustrating learning curve when it's 90 degrees out.

Go to the VansAircraft web site, click on news and events, then news.
Basically, the RV-3 has been discontinued as an in-stock kit, and will be more like an on-demand, special order kit, with long lead times and significant price increases possible for some parts.

Components available on VAF

There are always kits and components for sale here. Believe me, you can consume many months finishing them while you wait for something else you need from Vans. Just post an ad here and harvest all the dusty kits laying around.

Go to the VansAircraft web site, click on news and events, then news.
Basically, the RV-3 has been discontinued as an in-stock kit, and will be more like an on-demand, special order kit, with long lead times and significant price increases possible for some parts.

I knew the original RV-3 was discontinued. My knowledge is not as thorough as yours is, just getting started. But after reading about the RV-3B with the new wing spar, I understood that 'However, in response to popular demand, the RV-3B with a new wing spar design is now back on the market,' to mean it was a regular offering again. My mistake.

Back