What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can a Garmin 696 drive an old Navaid Autopilot

PittsCondor

Well Known Member
Hello all,
I currently have a KLN 35A GPS connected to my NavAid Autopilot. Wondering if I can connect a Garmin portable 696 to the Navaid and eliminate the KLN. If not, what are your recommendations on the least expensive way to use my existing servo's and upgrade whats driving the Autopilot?

Somewhere down the road I plan on putting in a GRT EFIS to interface with my EIS 4000 and may upgrade the servos and autopilot completely then.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

If it possible to drive it with the 696 any help with the wiring will be appreciated.

Last edited:
The only way a GPSMAP 696 will drive a Navaid autopilot is when you have the optional "smart coupler" which converts the NMEA RS-232 data to a +/- 150 mV steering signal.

Steve

If you have a navaid, just buy a direct replacement EZ Trio and run one rs232 to it. It’s a quick and easy job, direct replacement and it works a million times better. No need to replace the Servo or anything. I have seen the trio on here for as little as $300.

Tinker

Thanks to all

Thanks for great responses. I have not got behind the dash yet to see how the KLN35 is connected up. A guy at the airport is going to let me try his 696 and see if I like before deciding to buy it or not. Once I get it and see what I have behind my panel I report back.

Back