What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Strippers and Stripping... don't get excited...

brianwallis

VAF moderator
A long time ago when I bought my RV-3, I knew it had won 2nd place at copperstate but I was not quite sure what I would do about the paint in the future. The nickname "Nanner Puddin" was not given by choice :) It's Nanner Puddin yellow with some blue and red stripes. I'm almost out of CC debt and it's going to stay that way. With a kid on the way and trying to buy a house on a private airstrip, I don't want to spend big money for a custom paint job. I'm going to strip and paint it myself. I know it's lots of labor but I've got to save my money and not blow my safety reserves no matter what. I've done quite a but of paint work in the past and feel comfortable doing it myself. Even with painting a bunch of parts in the past I'm always of the mindset that I don't and won't know everything and to forgo the ego and ask everyone I know. I'm going to strip it over the winter slowly and then paint it in the spring after the pollen does it's thing. I'd like some feed back from anyone and everyone that has done this. I'd like to strip it and paint it like a mustang. I'm either going to paint it silver or polish the areas that are normally metal on a mustang. I'm looking for stripper products right now and would enjoy some feedback.
Thanks
Brian Wallis

Couple names

Brian,
couldn't have timed this better. I'm currently sitting at Leading Edge aircraft systems Paint shop in Greenville, MS where one of my company Saab 340's is being stripped. They are using either TURCO 6776LO or SPC 909 Neutral. Both are environmentally friendly and work in about 4-6hrs. Fumes though... Make sure you are well ventilated! Of course you'd have to protect or remove the plastic/fiberglass parts. Tends to eat it.

Paint strippers

Sometimes it really helps to break the gloss on the paint with 80 or 100 grit sandpaper before the stripper is applied. Heat helps a lot too.

Old thread, but we are thinking about stripping ours, painting it white and getting some decals.

What did you wind up doing?

Wow. Very nice.

I'm debating whether we should strip and repaint or just paint over our current paint..

Jeff, two factors come to mind.

The first is unnecessary weight gain.

Secondly, most of an airplane's paint is aft of the CG, so your CG shift toward the rear will happen and you may not like or need it to do that.

Bite the bullet and strip it.

Best,

Stripping, mmm.

#1, Never use stripper on fiberglass unless you intend to replace it, sand it only.
#2, Yes is the simple answer but there is a lot to keeping the stripper off or out of places you don't want it to be. I would rather strip with the wings and tail off, not sure what a metal sub structure is, but yes it would be better to remove the wings and tail.
#3, I think most planes are painted with wings/HZ and Vert stabs on, control surfaces fairings ect painted separately, they (control surfaces) also need to be balanced before you put them back on.

#4, This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck!
RT

Stripping

My neighbor purchased the aircraft, sanded the ugly off, painted it silver with a dry spray technique, put decals on (yes the yellow is paint) and BADA BING BADA BANG!!! I bought it back. I'm guessing COMSINK would not of let me put the money for a paint and panel in it but she felt so bad for me she let me buy it back :) He also swapped the panel around and put fuel flow etc in it. Now she wants a -9... giddy up!

Last edited:
COMSINK

COMSINK - Noun, very important person -Commander of Sink, wallet and or other important things. Example - Today, I wanted to buy a motorcycle, COMSINK said no. Today I bought COMSINK roses and then asked her if I could buy an RV-9. COMSINK said yes. These are just examples :)

Best,
Brian

Back