What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light mounting

Aerosporty

Have any of you used the Vans RV14 landing light kit? I am curious about the hardware. Do the nutplates riveted to the spar web near the tip have anything to do with the landing light mounting? I cant' figure out what they are for!

Unlike the existing RV10 Duckworks kits ( where the hardware mounts to the ribs, making aiming possible), the RV14 has the mount attached to the skin. I would love to see the hardware from Vans. (I have chosen another brand of round landing light for my project.)

Last edited:
The outboard nutplates in the RV-14 Spar are there as a possible spot to mount a Light Ballast, but if you've gone with another brand you probably won't be using them. :)

Have any of you used the Vans RV14 landing light kit? I am curious about the hardware. Do the nutplates riveted to the spar web near the tip have anything to do with the landing light mounting? I cant' figure out what they are for!

Unlike the existing RV10 Duckworks kits ( where the hardware mounts to the ribs, making aiming possible), the RV14 has the mount attached to the skin. I would love to see the hardware from Vans. (I have chosen another brand of round landing light for my project.)

I realize that this is an old thread but what have you come up with since then? I've come to ask Van's support about that same question a couple of days ago because I intend to make a slight modification to the W-00017 bracket by adding some sort of sidewalls to act as bulb "reflectors". There are holes on the sides of that bracket that I'd like to use for riveting hand made curved plates on each side. But no luck. Van's answered they're not done yet with the hardware kit around this part so no help there. What puzzles me the most is the plans made us install two nutplates on those brackets and I have no idea why and how they will be used for. It appears that this is still a mystery to date.
PagesfromRV-14LDLite_zps02630a6c.png

Can someone provide hints or ideas on the type of hardware we'll need to install to hold the bulbs in place? How will we adjust the beam? I'm planning on installing HID lights. Do we need to fabricate the holding bezel around the bulb?

Thanks.

Back