What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Smoke System Helper install -- thanks Marvin

mill2978

Well Known Member
I finally had time to finish the install of my smoke system from Smoke System Helper.

I had run the lines and plumbing in the fuselage during the build, but nothing FWF. Once we moved to OR and the project was still in CO I pushed off any work that wasn't related to getting it out of phase 1 and to OR. I have so much fun flying I didn't want to take the plane down for any longer than necessary. Recently I was able to find some smoke oil locally and I took advantage of pulling the cowl for some other work to install the injectors.

i-gVh8F4K-M.jpg

I elected for the 5-gallon smoke oil tank in the rear baggage compartment with a hydraulic quick disconnect and wiring disconnect so I can remove as needed. It takes about 10min to put it in and 5 to remove it.

i-DhW62Xm-M.jpg

I had some questions along the way and Marvin was great to work with, I don't have experience with any other smoke systems, but I think this one is a straight forward install with all the parts you need and fantastic support.

Testing it on the ground.
i-f35CkNn-M.jpg

View from the ground on the first run.
i-GvhMG46-L.jpg

Flight test video:cool:

Would you happen to have any pictures on how you ran the lines through the fuselage from the rear baggage?

Would you happen to have any pictures on how you ran the lines through the fuselage from the rear baggage?

I ran AL tubing just inboard of the rudder cable on the left-hand side of the fuselage. I had to bend the tube, install it, then flare it in place. I flared it in place to minimize the hole size.

I used the holes in the spar and rear spar attach bulkhead, etc that would have been for battery cables running to the rear. My batteries are EarthXs mounted upfront.

Just under the fuel selector on the left side is the adjustment valve, then it's a stainless braid line that TS flight lines fabricated for me, that runs through the gear tower and to the fitting in the firewall.

Spar end
i-gxjmpF3-M.jpg

i-2BvXGrk-M.jpg

Baggage compartment end
i-xLk4Xrj-M.jpg

I made a support bracket that hangs off of the roll servo bracket to support the line
i-rQSk6TH-M.jpg

Could you share what oil you found locally? And price? Thank you

I got the end of a barrel from a local performer at KMMV. I'm looking for a new source, my best bet right now is working with the suppliers for the airshow that is coming to our airport at the end of the month

How many injectors are you using? I have a Vetterman 4 pipe system and have wondered how many injectors it would take to produce a decent smoke plume.

I started with one nozzle to test and if I needed another one it?s a simple install. The video on my airport page says I won?t need more than one. Can?t wait to test it in the air in a few days.

Back