- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Sealing Firewall Rivets

I have searched the threads but my question covers a finner point.

Pg 29-05, Step 4 says "Cover the heads of each rivet on the firewall with a thin layer of fuel tank sealant". The operative word is cover the "HEADS".

LP4-3''s - Does this mean just to cover the top of the head thereby filling the center of the pop rivet head? - or do I need to seal the periphery around the head also? Technically you would be correct to just "cover the top of the head".

Using a bright tungsten light I do not see any light coming through these rivets.

Keep in mind we are talking about vapor and liquid traces at low pressure where as the tank rivets are looking at up to 120 pounds of fuel pressure trying to seep around the rivets.

Any thoughts on making this a "neater" job. Saw one site where builder punched holes in pieces of masking tape to mask the rivet heads.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM

Default Mask and Paint

I have a gasket hole punch set I used from Mac Tool. Punch the tape on a piece of wood and set over the rivet, seal and remove tape. I then painted the firewall. Looks nice and clean.
You can also sharpen a short piece of tubing for punching masking tape and do the same thing.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Dan View Post
I have a gasket hole punch set I used from Mac Tool. Punch the tape on a piece of wood and set over the rivet, seal and remove tape.
Clever craftsmanship!

Roger, I'd seal around the perimeter of the rivet also, just to eliminate oil seepage.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM

I used the punched-out mask technique for some of the isolated rivets. For the long straight runs of rivets like on the firewall seams, I used long strips of plastic tape on both sides of the rivets /seams with shorter cross pieces of tape. When the tape is removed, the result is a nice neat series of square sealant pads over each rivet - in some cases blended neatly into the seam sealant. Masking tape is a great way to cut down on ProSeal mess.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have a gasket hole punch set I used from Mac Tool. Punch the tape on a piece of wood and set over the rivet, seal and remove tape. I then painted the firewall. Looks nice and clean.
You can also sharpen a short piece of tubing for punching masking tape and do the same thing.
What type of paint did you use on the firewall, Dan?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks, your comments are helpful!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Default Paint

I have used the PPG single stage Concept over PPG DP50 Epoxy primer. Same for the cockpit.
By the way, it is easier to prime the panels before sealing. I actually preped and primed before installing all fuselage panels.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I have a gasket hole punch set I used from Mac Tool.
Dan... I was able to use a crafting hole punch made by EK tools in 3/8 inch sold by that very large Internet company online. They sell hole punches in many different sizes.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Office Depot / Staples / Etc.

I used the donut shaped thing-a-ma-jiggys that you use on notebook paper. Can't think of their name right now. The reinforcement donut-shaped, self-adhesive deals that you'd put over the three holes in a piece of notebook paper, before putting the sheets into a 3-ring binder.

After the ProSeal set's up, just peel them off. Works great!

* I started by using some that were paper-based. When trying to remove them, they tear and it is MUCH harder to remove them. Then I found some that were a plastic-based reinforcement. They peel off in one piece.

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skyhawk 172
Rebuilding a true barn find J-3 Cub
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaviator View Post
I used the donut shaped thing-a-ma-jiggys that you use on notebook paper. Can't think of their name right now. The reinforcement donut-shaped, self-adhesive deals that you'd put over the three holes in a piece of notebook paper, before putting the sheets into a 3-ring binder.

After the ProSeal set's up, just peel them off. Works great!

* I started by using some that were paper-based. When trying to remove them, they tear and it is MUCH harder to remove them. Then I found some that were a plastic-based reinforcement. They peel off in one piece.
Love it! What a great idea...

I think IN the USAF we called them paper A**holes...

Bob

RV-12 - Kit SOLD!
RV-9 - Emp Completed - Back On The Front Burner - well maybe after...?

Glastar Kit #5500 on the way...the 500th produced

Subscription Paid for 2017

Home is where the hanger is...