- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Default Why a special tool?

Why a special tool for this, what about the fire extinguisher? will a couple of blows with it not make a big hole in the canopy?

Regards, Tonny.
RV9A, Registration: PH-VAN
ECI-Titan IOX-320 with dual EI, turning a Whirlwind 200RV CS prop.
Sold
Old 08-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Default Very Funny!

My second canopy has been successfully glued! Not a hole in it anywhere! I'm going to leave it to other interested souls to do the inverted underwater test!

I thought of adding a 4th item to the list of things to test - a #40 drill bit but thought it too close to home.

I'm sure that there would be lots of things that your could beat your way through a canopy with if necessary.

While I was beating it apart to throw it away (I know - just typing that hurts kind of where my wallet is) really only the silly hammer made any holes. Especially toward the rear where it is thicker. I could crack it with nearly anything, but the hammer would routinely pop out a hunk.
Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Default We cracked my canopy on purpose, too. Video!

Thank you, Scott! We did this to my canopy, too. Since mine is a side-by-side RV-7A, I thought I'd add my experience to Scott's for additional data points. I already had this posted in another thread, but since this thread is more directly related to cracking a canopy, I'll re-post it here, too.

I was fortunate to host a monthly meeting of Chapter 105 here in my shop. The highlight of the meeting was a demonstration of a canopy cracking hammer on my canopy. It was my first canopy, which I accidentally ruined, and I had to get a new one. (ouch! That really hurt, and it was expensive) We put my original canopy to good use, though, allowing it to be used as a demo to test this tool. I made a YouTube video of the demonstration, and posted it online.

There were actually 2 tools tested... the first one was a "thumper" or clicking type, and it had little effect on the plexiglass. But the second one, the orange hammer, worked quickly and effectively. And this was with the canopy hand-held by chapter members. As you will hear Len Kaufman explain at the end, we suspect that a canopy securely fastened to a frame would break even easier and with results similar to what Scott has shown... pieces flying everywhere. I plan on carrying one of these in my plane when it's finished!

Here's a link to my page discussing the meeting. The video is at the bottom of the page, if you scroll all the way down:

Chapter 105 meeting, January 2012

Mine was a Vans canopy, too. And my new one is glued in place with SikaFlex. No holes in this one!
Dues Proudly Paid for 2016
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 07-06-2017, 06:04 AM

Default updated links

This is a great thread, and no doubt the little hammer works from the two demos (the OP and the Youtube demo).

Also good thoughts about an axe.... So for sure the heavier the better, but something neat and not too heavy for the cockpit? So I was wanting something just a bit heavier than the little hammer. Maybe being over conservative?

There are links to a flyboys page that no longer works (the link) - I think I found the tool here: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/Chi...ker-p/2201.htm

Anyone have any views or experience on that one they would share?

JP
Old 07-08-2017, 08:20 PM

While I haven't tested the Flyboy Accessories canopy breaker on the expensive Plexiglas around here, it is a copy of a military design from the 60's. We've even sold bulk orders of them to overseas customers, whom we assume are military or related.

You could certainly carry any number of items that would open that Plexiglas. I like Smokey Ray's solution, but your rescuers might not be keen on the flying bullets.

There is something to be said about having a dedicated tool for the canopy cracking.... something that won't be taken out of the plane, and that is always in its dedicated location. Something to consider. You don't want to be looking for it when you need it!
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
While I haven't tested the Flyboy Accessories canopy breaker on the expensive Plexiglas around here, it is a copy of a military design from the 60's. We've even sold bulk orders of them to overseas customers, whom we assume are military or related.

You could certainly carry any number of items that would open that Plexiglas. I like Smokey Ray's solution, but your rescuers might not be keen on the flying bullets.

There is something to be said about having a dedicated tool for the canopy cracking.... something that won't be taken out of the plane, and that is always in its dedicated location. Something to consider. You don't want to be looking for it when you need it!
Vince
Has your Canopy breaker been tested?
Or has it been used in a real life situation?
I have a Russian copy of USAF or is it USN Canopy knife, but would be interested in a small item such as yours for another aircraft.
John
Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 AM

Default Hammer

I have wondered if a 16oz rip hammer (on sale for $2.99 at HF) with a more horizontal plane than a claw hammer wouldn't be effective. A grinding wheel could even sharpen the rip side, if needed, and you would have a significant hammer effect with the 16oz hammer with a good grip. It could be stowed fairly easily and still be accessible.

The things that you think of when looking through a HF ad.......

John
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrazier View Post
I like Smokey Ray's solution, but your rescuers might not be keen on the flying bullets.
Actually, I think Smokey was talking about one of these:

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=4142
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 AM

Here is a link for the Smith and Wesson 911 Response tool. Looks pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-.../dp/B002ATCJIU
O-320 D2A
Panel andWiring done
Final assembly and paint!