- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Thank you!

As a devout sceptic, I thank you for providing us with hard data. Hammer it is! I love the VAF!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Default The canopy was a Van's canopy

Just to follow up on a question - it was a Van's canopy.
Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Default great post

I have a tool similar to the pick. Fortunately I've never had the opportunity
to see how ineffective it would be. Just ordered the hammer.

Thanks for posting.
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
hall monitor

Since that little hammer did such a good job of breaking the canopy, I suspect the passenger control stick will easily blow out a huge hole. My passengers are briefed to use the control stick to smash the canopy if we ever come to rest upside down.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the test. I ended up getting one of the canopy breaker tools from Flyboy Accessories http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/sto...ag675likube0d2 I think it can deliver about the same force as the hammer (at least I hope so). Dave
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Awesome Post! I love VAF! Thank you Scott!

Now for some stories!

I used to fly P-3's... we had crash axes on them. One of my Flight engineers told me a story about when he got to go to the bone yard for a 'live test' on an old airframe... they chopped away for 30 minutes at the aluminum skin where the engineers had painted a dotted square for an "chopped out" emergency exit (albeit much heavier than what we use in a Vans) and barely made it across the top... of the about 18x18 square... the test was called complete.

They then hit the plexiglass side windows and it all went flying. The front windscreen (very thick) was a bit tougher but they got through in minutes...

On a side note, I have a friend who is also a Coastie Pilot, who was a cop prior to joining the USCG... he cares the hammer pictured in his side pocket of his truck and has used it, or one like it, numerous times to bust out car windows and effect rescues. He swears by them.
I Timothy 2:1-2 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

I Thesalonians 4:11-12 Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Default Thank YOU!

"Please send thanks to the RV guy who did this test from all the Long-EZ folks like myself.
It opened my eyes to real data.
Thanks
EJ N36EJ Long-EZ"

Ditto here Scott!
N762BH
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Default Bust it!

I have carried a S&W 911 on my person while flying my RV4 and HR2 for many years. I tested it on an old -4 canopy and the breaker pops a nice hole and the saw goes through it like butter. (use gloves) The fear of being trapped is a valid one (I flew F16's for 20 years, the canopy is 1/4 inch thick!) a good tool is priceless!

Smokey
HR2

http://www.combathunting.com/SMITH_W...th_Sheath.html
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Way back a long time ago when I was still working, I was stationed at the crash station at John Wayne airport in Orange County, Ca.

I had numerous training exercises in aircraft rescue, and the best tool we had of opening plexi canopies was an axe. I have even cut through fighter jet canopies over an inch thick with an axe, it was a lot of work, but did the job.

The first unit in your photo, that you called a "pick" is listed as a "strap cutter" by the manufacturer. It is what we used to call a seat belt cutter in the fire service. Looking at the photo, it appears to have a screwdriver tip on the end of the handle, also a common thing in fire service tools.

The spring loaded center punch is very effective at removing tempered glass windows-----I carried one for many years in my turnout coat. As you found out, it is worthless on plastic.

Bob Brown has the correct idea, IMHO, the axe is going to do the best job.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Scott,

Thanks for doing the test. However, with the canopy pointed upwards, there really shouldn't be any problem exiting the aircraft, unless the darn thing was just stuck, or maybe if you were in the air and wanted to jump from a burning airplane, so thanks for testing that situation. Anyway, do you think you could get another canopy, turn it upside down, and try to break through it while standing or balancing upside down on it? That would really be helpful. Oh, and how about doing it under water.

Tracy.
http://www.trv7.com