VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM

Default RV12 Regrets?

I have been lurking on this site for some time and the information is extremely helpful for someone contemplating an RV. I am getting ready to move on to another phase in my live after 20 years in the green suit. Aviation has been a part of me so long, I don't want to give it up.

Two retired CWOs I know are each building RV12s and are very complementary of the platform. I have not decided if I am going to build or buy yet. One of my buddies is going down the path of a RV9 and has been struggling to find one that meets his standards.

The 12 fits much of what I like about aviation. I am looking for a long term aircraft, but this will probably not be my last one. Hopefully I will be flying into my 80s which is almost 40 years away.

overall I hear very positive things about the 12 but when I see so many for sale I have to ask; what if any regreats do current/former 12 owners have about the platform? I don't see any information from pilots on why they sold their 12 to another model.

I am not trying to start any kind of product bashing, just looking for some perspectives from pilots with more experience than I have.

Joe
Old 07-16-2017, 02:22 PM

I have a friend who built and flies an RV-12. He loves the plane but takes long trips and now wants something that will go faster. Money is no object for him so he's thinking of an RV-14.

Re: Building or buying. Have an honest discussion with yourself. You'll have to decide whether you love building things or love flying. It's very rare that one finds both loves in the same person. If you do build your own, you will be able to maintain it yourself, so that's a plus if you're on a budget.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:43 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

First, define your requirements - not just "I want an airplane", but what do you want to DO with the airplane. If you just want to get airborne for local flying, the -12 is economical, fun, and efficient (this fits the description of a LOT of planes that meet LSA specs BTW....). If you want to leap across the country from coast to coast on a regular basis, and want to do that in two days, then you might want something faster.

It's all about what you want to the airplane to do. The -12 is a great aplane - you see them for sale for numerous reasons, one of which is that guys build them when they want to go LSA without a medical), and then they decide they've reached the age where they are giving up flying. Another is that it is legal to build an ELSA for profit (pro building isn't legal for E-AB), so there are pro builders doing that. I don't think you see them for sale very often because the builders aren't happy with them.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Smile My Rv12

My Rv12 has dual Garmin G3X,s Garmin a/p and a Viking 110 aircraft engine. You need to think about what you want in avionics and power plant. The VIKING ENGINE IS NOT LIMITED to 5 min and then LIMITED to 80 up for climb out. I have the full 110 up with no time limit. The Rv12 is a wonderful that you will enjoy and was fun and easy to build.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu16 View Post
I have been lurking on this site for some time and the information is extremely helpful for someone contemplating an RV. I am getting ready to move on to another phase in my live after 20 years in the green suit. Aviation has been a part of me so long, I don't want to give it up.

Two retired CWOs I know are each building RV12s and are very complementary of the platform. I have not decided if I am going to build or buy yet. One of my buddies is going down the path of a RV9 and has been struggling to find one that meets his standards.

The 12 fits much of what I like about aviation. I am looking for a long term aircraft, but this will probably not be my last one. Hopefully I will be flying into my 80s which is almost 40 years away.

overall I hear very positive things about the 12 but when I see so many for sale I have to ask; what if any regreats do current/former 12 owners have about the platform? I don't see any information from pilots on why they sold their 12 to another model.

I am not trying to start any kind of product bashing, just looking for some perspectives from pilots with more experience than I have.

Joe

To add a twist to what Ironflight said...it is possible that with the new basic med legislation passed; some guys that built E-LSA (the -12), might have decided to move to faster aircraft. I know I'm on the fence with my trip to Oshkosh probably going to be the deciding factor. The 9a is looking good....however, my -12 is really fun to fly.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid

Last edited by Phantom30 : 07-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM

I bought my 12 a year and half ago with 48TT. I was looking for a plane in state so I didn’t have to pay sales tax. Also was looking for someone to take my J3-Cub in trade so dollar outlay was minimal and deal would be clean.

Found all of it in Cincinnati... I drove down to look at the 12 and told the builder it looked very nice and asked why he was selling it. He told me that between himself, his lady friend, and his son they owned 21 airplanes. The builder was 80 years old and the lady was right up there too. Like a proud grandma see opened her wallet and displayed a stack of airplane pics including her J3, UPF-7, several float planes, two RV-6, and a bunch of other planes. Really nice people. The builder was a flight instructor and he checked me out in the 12. The following day I flew the Cub south and they flew the 12 north and we met halfway, did the paperwork, palmed some money, and both flew home in different planes than we came in.

I thought I was going to miss the Cub. My father and I owned it for 23 years. Seems like everyone’s clamoring for a Cub. Well let me tell you – I’ve put over 200 hours on the 12 and never looked back. RV grin every time I fly it – myself and passengers.
PPL - 1970
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC 7/12 Bought Flying 10/2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 315

Last edited by Piper J3 : 07-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM

My Dad and I built one of the first RV-12 kits (#18) mostly because he wanted something with pull rivets instead of solid rivets. We finished it in 2 years and 2 months, which included at least 6 months of waiting for Van's to have next kits available. I flew that airplane for 2 years and a little over 220 hrs. At the time I was stepping up from a C-150, so the -12 was superior in every aspect. The -12 is a joy to fly and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I did not particularly want or need an LSA so we sold it and I bought a flying RV-4. As much better than the 150 the -12 was, the -4 was more betterer still.

I sold the -4 when we finished up a Sportsman we were working on. All in all, I much preferred the -4 and would love to sell my Sportsman and buy either a -4 or an -8.

As for the build or buy? It depends on what you really want to do.
Glasair Sportsman (Bought disassembled, now flying)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM

This is from the perspective of a former RV-7 builder who is now limited to LSA, Basic Med notwithstanding. I've owned an RV-12 for a little over a year and a half now.

I can't imagine anyone selling an RV-12 because it doesn't live up to expectations, unless their expectations were unrealistic. It's a solid, honest airplane that will do every bit of what Van's says it will do, all day long, without complaint. I can walk on past a lot of airplanes based at my field, while spending a whole lot less per hour to do it. The Rotax doesn't burn oil, doesn't require a lot of maintenance, runs smooth and I get good heat in the winter. It really has no bad habits and flies much better than I do.

It's not a Mooney or an RV-7. I've got enough room for a few days of camping at Oshkosh, or a couple of overnight bags and a few other odds & ends. It will cruise happily at 110 to 115 knots, or I can burn a little more gas and do 120 TAS. If you need to haul a lot more baggage or get somewhere in a big hurry, you're just not going to coax another 5-10 knots or find another few cubic feet of baggage space. Unless maybe some day Van's decides to offer wing mounted fuel tanks. Who knows. Anyway, for what it is, a 2-place LSA, it's really, I think, about as good as you're going to find for anywhere near the money.

If I had a choice I'd fly something faster. But I don't, and quite frankly the only thing about that I don't like is giving up 40 knots. On the other hand, my cost per hour is ridiculously low.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonRV View Post
My Dad and I built one of the first RV-12 kits (#18) mostly because he wanted something with pull rivets instead of solid rivets. We finished it in 2 years and 2 months, which included at least 6 months of waiting for Van's to have next kits available. I flew that airplane for 2 years and a little over 220 hrs. At the time I was stepping up from a C-150, so the -12 was superior in every aspect. The -12 is a joy to fly and I enjoyed every minute of it.

I did not particularly want or need an LSA so we sold it and I bought a flying RV-4. As much better than the 150 the -12 was, the -4 was more betterer still.

I sold the -4 when we finished up a Sportsman we were working on. All in all, I much preferred the -4 and would love to sell my Sportsman and buy either a -4 or an -8.

As for the build or buy? It depends on what you really want to do.
Steve,

What is your take on the Ran's S-21 with the Titan engine?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 PM

Joe, my background sounds similar, I am looking at the RV-12 because of its abilities and not just because it is an LSA. I don't need to fly an LSA and I am currently flying the typical Cessna line up of 172/182s. So I can't weigh in on personal history with an RV-12.

I have been going back and forth between the RV-9 and the 12. There are a bunch of arguments for one versus the other. I don't have a specific mission outside of having fun flying with my wife. If I want to take my college girls up we rent the Cessna for us to go somewhere. If I want to do some seaplane flying I head out with one of the guys at the local field and pick up the tab for the breakfast. If I have to get their quickly, you can find me on the next Delta flight.

Overall the RV-12 checks more of the boxes for me today. Would I be disappointed with an RV-9, probably not. But to be fair, I am not disapppointed with the 172M either. Just hate dealing with a rental schedule and not being able to change my mind on the fly.

Not sure where you served but I spent quite a bit of time at Rucker and Benning.