VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2017, 03:13 PM

We flew into Osh our first time last year. At the advise of others I practiced slow flight at/near gross with maneuvers. I tried a variety of flap settings and settled on 1/3 flaps for 90 kts.

We planned to arrive early on the Friday morning before the show so as to avoid traffic but low ceilings and IFR caused delay.

After checking the WX and seeing the trend towards improving conditions, we took off from Austin in VFR. As we progressed the ceilings lowered to MVFR the further east we went. At about Dells the clouds broke up and the sun shined.

I have very little experience flying in MVFR low ceilings. The WX out west is mostly sunny. I wish I would have got some practice in low ceilings before going.

What I didn't anticipate was the rolling terrain with lots of obstacles such as antenna's and windmills. Then there's the birds, big ones and lots of them. They like to fly just under the clouds like you so watch out.

I'm grateful my wife was in back with her head on a swivel. She saw a few things I missed and she had the NOTAM in hand.

Once at RIPON it was pretty easy. I saw maybe five other planes as I was converging. We landed 36L and exited on the taxiway.

While we were securing our plane in the grass a beautiful multi colored RV-3B pulled up and tied down right next to us. It was Tsam.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Jesse had mentioned the ADS-B traffic. I have ADS-B out so I am supposed to leave my transponder on. I HAVE A SkyView system. It this thing going to go nuts with traffic warnings?

Any suggestions for how to deal with that? I could see how the warnings could create added stress during the arrival.

RV-7A Tip Up - Done!!!
Airworthiness Certificate in hand!
Transition training done!
Flying my wings off!
Old 07-16-2017, 03:53 PM

Default Oshkosh

Don't over think it, less capable people than you do it all the time,
And transponder OFF.. If you don't go how you going to learn
And you regret not doing it all year, so saddle up and have fun
Old 07-16-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
And transponder OFF..
That is incorrect IAW with this years NOTAM. If you are ADS-B out equipped you are directed to leave your Transponder ON. Non-ADS-B equipped aircraft are to turn their transponder to standby at or before Ripon.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:26 PM

Default Oshkosh

Good catch on transponder, learn something new
Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Default Read the NOTAM

I can't say this enough. Read the NOTAM. Know It before you get there so you aren't fumbling around with a stack of papers in the cockpit at lower speeds and low altitude. There are also several videos you can watch on both the EAA website as well as YouTube that show the landmarks that you are looking for. My suggestions is to watch a couple of them with different runways. The last 2 years I have seen 2 different pilots landing on the wrong runway, one was landing against traffic and the pilot was obviously confused. It could have cost several fatalities but thankfully the Guys in the tower yelled on the COMs loud enough to get his attention to peel off and go around.
Play each approach in your head as to where you should be depending on which runway they are using. The first OSH I went to I used highlights on the NOTAM to pre-draw the expected flight path in the pattern. This will really help you.
Most likely it will be busy with many planes that are doing the same thing, and you can just follow someone, but make this will help you ensure who you are following is doing the right thing.

I agree that you should certainly go this year, just be prepared.

One last thing--- make sure you have plenty of fuel. If you feel overwhelmed for any reason, peel off and go to Fond Du lac or Appleton .
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 PM

You know, I have flown into Osh several times, and I have never had any problem. I am no ace of the base, by any means, but if you just keep your eyes open, know the Notam, get in the conga line, and follow the controllers suggestions, you'll have no trouble. To me, it has always been pretty straight forward. I would recommend timing your arrival during good solid VFR, as marginal conditions could complicate things quickly. Have fun, you won't regret it... it's a Great experience!!
1946 C-140 flying great
Dues gladly paid thru 2017
Old 07-16-2017, 06:21 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
I can't say this enough. Read the NOTAM. Know It before you get there so you aren't fumbling around with a stack of papers in the cockpit at lower speeds and low altitude. There are also several videos you can watch on both the EAA website as well as YouTube that show the landmarks that you are looking for. My suggestions is to watch a couple of them with different runways. The last 2 years I have seen 2 different pilots landing on the wrong runway, one was landing against traffic and the pilot was obviously confused. It could have cost several fatalities but thankfully the Guys in the tower yelled on the COMs loud enough to get his attention to peel off and go around.
Play each approach in your head as to where you should be depending on which runway they are using. The first OSH I went to I used highlights on the NOTAM to pre-draw the expected flight path in the pattern. This will really help you.
Most likely it will be busy with many planes that are doing the same thing, and you can just follow someone, but make this will help you ensure who you are following is doing the right thing.

I agree that you should certainly go this year, just be prepared.

One last thing--- make sure you have plenty of fuel. If you feel overwhelmed for any reason, peel off and go to Fond Du lac or Appleton .
Al god advice - the only thing I might do differently is to think of places like Wautoma or Waupaca as fuel or simply diversion alternates. Friendly, much less traffic than Fond Du Lac or Appleton, usually have EAA Burgers or BBQ on hand for arrrivlas. Great places to wait out holding patterns over the lakes....

When it gets busy, go where everyone else isn't!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM

In 2015 I got to ride along in the right seat with a friend as he flew his new RV-7A into Oshkosh for fhe first time. It was nice to have had the experience of seeing it done first hand before doing It on my own last year. I got to see some pretty poor flying and a couple of really bone-headed moves, but thankfully I didn't embarrass myself by doing any of that myself.

The bad: It can be a little stressful and high pressure. The good: If your airplane is reusable after arrival, you won't be remembered as the worst landing of the day. Or even of the hour.

There are a ton of videos, some pretty good. Just be ready for anything, and don't count on others to do what you'd expect. Oh, and I stopped in Portage so I arrived with a nearly full tank, an empty bladder and recently stretched legs. I highly recommend thst.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Write the various frequencies in big font on a piece of paper. Because you will be expecting one runway, and then get switched to the other you weren't expecting. A bad time to be fumbling with radios. (pre-load them if you have the option).
And, as others have said, if you are at gross (+!) and aft CG, things get real mushy! Watch the flair when heavy. Don't let the bottom drop out! We get used to blasting around light at forward CG.
It can be a real task saturating experience, so have everything memorized and organized. And don't be surprised by those that don't! Have fun and enjoy the experience.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....tail kit done, slow-build wing done, slow-build fuselage started.