VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-16-2017, 01:00 AM

Smile Oshkosh Newbie

I wasn't sure of where to post this so here goes....

I think I'm going to fly solo to Oshkosh this year, weather permitting. I've been studying the NOTAM and practicing holding altitude +/- 50' at 90 kts and landing on a given spot on the runway. It was really turbulent here today with low ceilings and some TS in the area. Today's performance has me wondering if I'm up to the task. Airspeed was varying wildly in the bumps and by the time I thought I had it under control, I had gained or lost 100 or so feet. The weather today was just not cooperating. The fixed pitch prop on my 7A seems to increase the difficulty level as well because as the nose on the airplane pitches up or down, the prop rpms vary. Any helpful technique or input is appreciated!

At Oshkosh, after landing on runways 36/18 LR, is the exit procedure the same as 9/27 where you roll into the grass to the left or right as soon as you are able? That is on the arrival procedures for 18/27 but see no mention of it for 36/18. There is talk about taxiing west of 36L etc but nothing I have seen stating how to exit the runway.

Should I purchase tickets and passes before I get there or is it preferable to get them upon arrival to OSH? I'll be in HBC if that helps.

Any war stories that help me know what I am getting my self into are appreciated also!

RV-7A Tip Up - Done!!!
Airworthiness Certificate in hand!
Transition training done!
Flying my wings off!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 AM

I've never been asked to taxi onto the grass beside 18/36 and have never seen anyone else do that either. I have done it/seen it done on 9/27.

As far as tickets go, I buy them after I arrive. Between weather, work and family issues, and the occasional mechanical problem, there is too much risk involved for me to buy tickets before arriving.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:41 AM

No need for tickets or passes, just the HBC sign in the window, they will fix you up when you get there. Last year I had to slow down to 70kts on downwind coming in at 1:00 PM on Saturday before the show started. If you cant keep separation with the guy in front of you just peel out and start over. I plan to get there early on Saturday morning this year to avoid the heavy traffic but weather can cause everyone to get there at once as we all know. It is a lot of fun flying in and camping!
First Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqgxhWH3pqA
Build Blog http://mikesrv7.blogspot.com/
Dues Paid
Old 07-16-2017, 06:55 AM

Also work on really tight traffic patterns and be comfortable with those.
2017 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 07-16-2017, 07:28 AM

Practice with the aircraft loaded as it will be on arrival. Getting there early in the day will be a great help as the traffic is much reduced. Plan on stopping an hour out for a break, check fuel etc. at that point you will likely know which runway is active. You can listen in to ATC live, https://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger under construction #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 AM

Flying into Oshkosh solo for the first time is not something I would advise. Things can get very hectic in a hurry, with constant radio chatter, last minute runway assignments/changes, short approaches, spot landings, and flying much closer to other aircraft than you are accustomed to.

If you decide the risk is worth the reward, you will need to memorize the NOTAM instructions for all runways, because you will need your eyes outside the cockpit at all times. Try to pick an arrival time when traffic is likely to be lighter. Go only in really fine VFR conditions.

As to Runway 18/36, you will not be rolling into the grass, you will be using a taxiway (there are a lot of them), or landing long and high speed taxiing to the end.

Personally, even though I have landed at Airventure many times, I always want that extra set of eyes and ears aboard.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Reminds me of an advanced motorcycle safety course I took, everything was performed in a big lot under 40 MPH, an eye opener for sure, easy to go high speed and straight, but going slow and maneuvering around obstacles is a lot more difficult, practice slow flight at a safe altitude might help.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Note that 18R/36L only exists for about 1 week per year. Normally it is known as Taxiway Alpha.

The tower guys do a great job handing out rapid fire instructions WITH reminders so you'll be told if they want you turning or not. One less thing to remember.

Just remember to fight your urge to respond to the radio!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM

for me it is all about how busy the arrival is. getting there early is my first plan. otherwise if it is a bees nest then just land and wait awhile.

good luck. Mecca awaits.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Last year we arrived on Sunday. The Ripon arrival was closed and there were at least a hundred planes holding around the 2 lakes. We landed in Fondulac and waited. When we saw the ADS-B traffic departing the lake, we loaded up and took off. We were one of the first planes into Ripon after he lake hold cleared out. There is always something exciting, but stay on your toes and don't be afraid to peal out and rejoin at Ripon.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.