VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Tailwheel bolt hardware

I have asked the mothership support this question but not heard back as yet. The through bolt that attaches the U tail wheel to the fork, calls out the use of two washers but that means in my case the castle nut is not threaded on enough. If I take one washer out its just fine. Has anyone else had this issue and did you go to less thick washers as in 32 rather than 63 thickness or just do away with the outside washer? Also the Tailwheel bearings seem very rough , if it was on my combine harvester, i would discard them but I have read here that it seems normal as they wear in with plenty of grease after 50 hours. Is this the norm ?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 08:22 PM

Just use the thickness of washer that allows proper placement of the castle nut.

Flyboy Accessories has a much better tire selection, with good bearings.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

The drawings call for various rivet lengths and bolt lengths based upon engineering specs. Actual manufacturing tolerances can vary, so you might find that you are changing a specified bolt, washer, or rivet for a different one during actual construction. Really nothing to fret over. Do what's right and move on.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Default +1

"Flyboy Accessories has a much better tire selection, with good bearings."

Absolutely. Sealed bearings; smoother running; lighter.

Carry on!
Mark
Old 07-16-2017, 01:54 PM

Thanks for your replies. I may look to the aftermarket Tailwheel once I try this one out as I have already paid for this one. Given the rest of the kit has been of great quality I have been somewhat surprised out the quality of these wheel bearings . I suppose given that , I had been more concerned about the appropriate use of washers , as one washer is between the fork and the bearing which seems important compared to the one under the nut.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arablenz View Post
Thanks for your replies. I may look to the aftermarket Tailwheel once I try this one out as I have already paid for this one. Given the rest of the kit has been of great quality I have been somewhat surprised out the quality of these wheel bearings . I suppose given that , I had been more concerned about the appropriate use of washers , as one washer is between the fork and the bearing which seems important compared to the one under the nut.
Roger,

What is more important is to not overtighten the nut on the axle bolt and introduce a side load on those bearings. Use whatever washers will give a good fit, then finger tighten the nut to get rid of any gaps that would allow the tire to move side to side. If the fit is good at that point, put the cotter pin in.

Keep an eye on the tire and bearings, like you would anything else on the plane. Then every 6 months or so, depending on flight hours, take the entire tailwheel fork assembly apart and clean and regrease it. Pay particular attention to the locking pin. While it's apart, inspect the tire bearings and tread also. You can grease the tire bearings, but it's often futile as you can't make a crummy bearing better with grease alone.

If you do these things you'll get good service from the tailwheel. We have a service instruction sheet that we're happy to send to anyone who emails us. Email flyboyaccessories@gmail.com

Vince
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks very much Vince I have sent you mail.