VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-10-2017, 04:18 PM

Default Curtis drain valve.

We keep the Curtis type drain valve for just this reason. The one with the pin-lug that can be looked open. We just stick a peace of clear plastic tubing over it " I think it is 3/8" " and open the valve and let it run tell the can is full. Snap the valve closed change cans and go again. I like to just start off with 25 gallons of Mo-gas, do the work, then drain it back out and put it in my pick-up truck. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888
Old 07-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Default Defueling

Outstanding input Gentleman. Thank you!

Greg Novotny
Old 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM

I'm glad these guys chimed in before I described how I did this a couple weeks ago. I missed a couple safety steps.

Reason I did this was that my fuel sump kept getting stuck in the up/on position. The culprit was the end of a drilled off rivet getting stuck in the sump. I was also getting occasional drips after sumping from both tanks. I took the opportunity to change out the O-rings on both tank sumps. I was surprised at how the original o-rings had shrunk to almost useless. New o-rings and good to go.

As stated before, running a fuel flow test after the pump/red cube and calculating/verifying fuel going to the carb is a good verification of not only fuel flow but also any leaks in the system. My DAR required this test prior to his inspection and by golly I discovered a leaky connection in doing so. The fuel would sort of sputter out of the hose on one tank but a solid stream off the other. Some troubleshooting and discovered the culprit.

The fuel system / sealing in its entirety was definitely one of the better learning aspects of the build.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 07-10-2017, 10:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbro172 View Post

Reason I did this was that my fuel sump kept getting stuck in the up/on position. The culprit was the end of a drilled off rivet getting stuck in the sump. I was also getting occasional drips after sumping from both tanks. I took the opportunity to change out the O-rings on both tank sumps.
Again, why I liked removing the sump drain entirely to get the stuff out that you can't siphon.

In my mind, a flush of each tank after a fill or two is a good idea.
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 07-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Default Tube

Make a guide tube/drain for a curtis push-type quick drain.

Take a 1/2 pipe about 18 inches long, drill a hole in the side near the top, insert a few inches of stiff bailing wire or hinge pin so it pokes up thru the center of the pipe, hose clamp and RTV/JB Weld the wire in place. Stick the pipe in a gas can, place under the wing, push the pipe around the drain valve so that the wire pushes the quick drain and put a vise-grip on the pipe at the gas can hole to keep it going. This setup keeps the fuel sorta-contained, more or less, and is easy to turn on/off. Also does not require tampering with anything on the fuel system.

Caution caution caution! Gas is dangerous!

"Life seems so much simpler when you're fixing things." - Anakin Skywalker
Dues Paid 2017
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 AM

Another good way, assuming you're already airworthy, is to just go fly until the fuel is down near zero in that one tank. Your last landing will require some aileron to keep wings-level but you'll only need to drain a gallon or two when you're done.

Just did this before fixing weeping leaks at the sender covers on my fuel tanks, so I know it works... Fixed one side and then the other and only needed to drain 3-4L from each tank.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
Again, why I liked removing the sump drain entirely to get the stuff out that you can't siphon.

In my mind, a flush of each tank after a fill or two is a good idea.
Agreed. Pulling the sump plug allowed me to flush out the system, including a drilled off rivet head that I otherwise would not have found and would have continued to be problematic down the road.

I flew until I had perhaps 6 gallons in one tank and 10 in the other, low enough that i could manage draining the fuel into a couple 5 gallon cans. Stuck a socket on the plug and pulled it out, drained into the cans.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 07-12-2017, 04:40 AM

Just had to defuel also last week in order to deal with leaks. So once you have all this fuel out into 5-gallon cans... what do you use to refuel in one gallon increments to recalibrate?
N112SB reserved
IO-320 w/EFII and Catto 3-blade
Beringer brakes/wheels/tires
Dual G3X Touch (Stein's bankrupted me!)
Emp - DONE! (90%) (9 mos, 4 days)
Wings - DONE! (90%) (1 yr, 2 mos)
Fuselage - Almost Done
Finish - Engine Prep and misc
AT THE AIRPORT!!! (KHAO)
=VAF= 2016 paid up
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 AM

Yep, defueling sucks! A coupla months the ago we had to change the electric boost pump on a T-28A, which means you gotta drain the tanks. We had 140 gallons on board... ugh; not a fun time.
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2016
Old 07-12-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalmos View Post
Just had to defuel also last week in order to deal with leaks. So once you have all this fuel out into 5-gallon cans... what do you use to refuel in one gallon increments to recalibrate?
The gas pump. Save the 5 gallon can until you've flown off 5 gallons worth after you've calibrated.