VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Windshield fiberglass question

I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleM View Post
I'm about to fiberglass the windshield in place on my -8 and want to make sure I don't stick the canopy to it. Instructions say to use a release solution or mylar packaging tap. It would seem that the tape thickness would prevent a nice fit. I'm thinking Plastiease 512B or Meguiar's #8 wax. Any suggestions? Thanks
If you apply packing tape carefully, it does a very nice job of providing the non-stick you want along with a very thin gap. Pull off a piece of packing tape and try to measure its thickness.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight November 20, 2016
Phase One Complete June 1, 2017
http://www.marksrv8.com
2017 Donation Complete!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Lyle,
I just rebuilt my canopy. It was not as bad as I expected. I used plastic pipe tape and it worked great.

This is how I taped it before epoxy. The plastic tape bends around the curves very much like pin stripe tape. It is 20 mil thick so great protection. A good coat of wax and it popped off great.

Here is the rough finished piece after pulling it off the canopy. I will sand, prime, and then glue it on.
[IMG][/IMG]

There are a few more pictures of my canopy rebuild here. Hope the links still work!
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/ro...?sort=3&page=1
O-320 D2A
Panel andWiring done
Final assembly and paint!