VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Rschultz Rschultz is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Woodward, OK.
Posts: 3
Default ES Airflow Fuel Pump-1 installation

I am working on installing the ES Airflow Fuel Pump-1 from Van's in my RV-7. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to run the fuel lines and make everything fit under the covers. In Van's instruction manual there is a picture showing a typical installation. The only problem with the pic is the fuel selector valve and fuel lines are removed for clarity (I am guessing). If anyone one has any installation pics or advice it would be greatly appreciated.



Randy Schultz
Woodward, OK.
RV-7 Slow Build Slider
N215PR (reserved)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 PM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschultz View Post
I am working on installing the ES Airflow Fuel Pump-1 from Van's in my RV-7. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to run the fuel lines and make everything fit under the covers. In Van's instruction manual there is a picture showing a typical installation. The only problem with the pic is the fuel selector valve and fuel lines are removed for clarity (I am guessing). If anyone one has any installation pics or advice it would be greatly appreciated.



Randy Schultz
Woodward, OK.
RV-7 Slow Build Slider
N215PR (reserved)
What selector do you have, and is it plumbed like the plan?

Edit - which lines are causing issue? on the fuel pump platform, or between it and the selector?
__________________
Bill

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2017, 08:17 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 2,711
Default Photos

I have some posted to my blog, "Finishing" page. I had the tank-selector and pump-forward lines done by TS Flightlines. I fabricated the small ones.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Rschultz Rschultz is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Woodward, OK.
Posts: 3
Default

I installed the Andair fuel selector valve and run the lines according to the plans. When I move the fuel pump aft to accommodate the fuel line from filter to the inlet of the fuel pump on the forward side of the cover, the pump interferes with the lines going to the fuel selector valve.
I looked at the pics from Larry's blog looks like I have to shorten the lines going into the fuel selector valve as much as I can to gain the room I need for the fuel pump and lines?

Randy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
BillL BillL is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschultz View Post
I installed the Andair fuel selector valve and run the lines according to the plans. When I move the fuel pump aft to accommodate the fuel line from filter to the inlet of the fuel pump on the forward side of the cover, the pump interferes with the lines going to the fuel selector valve.
I looked at the pics from Larry's blog looks like I have to shorten the lines going into the fuel selector valve as much as I can to gain the room I need for the fuel pump and lines?

Randy
Randy, is it similar to this photo? The top of the pump is inline with the down tube off of the and/or valve? Or is your vintage of pump completely different?
Edit - note that Larry made the lower bend much closer to the 90 deg fitting on the valve. I did not want to redo that part in my plane. The pump and filter in the picture below is closer together than stock. It was done to overcome the direct interference with the tube coming down on the right side of the valve (left on the picture) If the closer spacing will work for you, let me know and I will post the mod to place the pump/filter closer together for the needed clearance.


__________________
Bill

W&B done
Doing paperwork.
Beginning G3X calibrations.

Last edited by BillL : 07-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM
TS Flightlines TS Flightlines is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ridgeland, SC
Posts: 1,898
Default

You probably have the new version AFP pump. This is how we do it:

http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/ts...tml?sort=3&o=7
__________________
Tom Swearengen, TS Flightlines LLC
Teflon Hose Assemblies for Experimentals
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 2,711
Default TS Flightlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
You probably have the new version AFP pump. This is how we do it:

http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/ts...tml?sort=3&o=7
Order the lines and short tubes from Tom. It all fits. Easy peasy.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2016. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Lemmingman's Avatar
Lemmingman Lemmingman is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 663
Default

+1 on Larry's advice. Tom will get you straightened out.
__________________
Gil Brice
McKinney, TX EAA-1246
RV7 - Working on fuse, fuel, brakes etc...

rvblog.thebrices.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Rschultz Rschultz is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Woodward, OK.
Posts: 3
Default

I just wanted let everyone know I visited with Tom with TS Flightlines and ordered the fuel lines necessary to install the new style pump.
I appreciate everyone who responded to my post.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.