- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Default First starts and prop cycling

I did my second engine run today on my RV-10. First start a few days ago for 3 minutes. No issues. Ran today following the Lycoming manual for a fresh install. Basically warm up at 1000 RPM, run at 1500 RPM for 15 minutes while watching CHTs and pressures. Do a mag check and cycle the prop, Run up to full power for less than 10 seconds, pull back to idle, and shut down. Shut down if anything is out of the ordinary.

Thi is a new IO-540-D4A5 and new 2 blade Hartzell - stock right from Van's. All went well in everything except the prop doesn't cycle.

At about the 10 minute mark running at 1500 I tried several times and nothing. Then I ran up to 2200 and tried again. Nothing. Back to 1500. Tried again. Nothing. Back up to 2200 again and still nothing. I aborted the test at this point, not going the full 15 minutes. Backed off to idle, then up to 1000 and shut down.

CHTs got up to 350. Oil and fuel pressure were in the green. Oil temp seemed a bit low for the whole test, only reaching 151* F.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the prop cycling issue?
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 06-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Stock engines from Vans used to come with a plug inside the crankshaft that has to be pulled out for a CS prop. Did you pull it?
What governor did you install? Any chance the gasket is covering an oil port?

Last edited by BobTurner : 06-30-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Should have searched first. Just found this old thread. Will try suggestions made here.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=104336

My procedure was to pull the prop control and hold it for about 3 - 5 seconds. When nothing happened, I pushed it back in. If I'm reading correctly, I should be holding it out for a while longer to allow the oil to flow through.

Is this correct?
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 06-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Stock engines from Vans used to come with a plug inside the crankshaft that has to be pulled out for a CS prop. Did you pull it?
I did. Even complained about doing it here on my build log. Rear plug was in place.

http://airplane.athomeinthewilburnes...eller-install/
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 06-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilbur View Post
Should have searched first. Just found this old thread. Will try suggestions made here.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=104336

My procedure was to pull the prop control and hold it for about 3 - 5 seconds. When nothing happened, I pushed it back in. If I'm reading correctly, I should be holding it out for a while longer to allow the oil to flow through.

Is this correct?
Correct. It might take 30 seconds to fill the crankshaft with oil.
BTW, some of the Hartzell governors really need 1700 rpm before they come off the stop.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the first time you run it the oil takes a while to fill the prop, so leave it back for a while while running at 1900-2000. You'll hear it catch.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council
Van's East Coast Representative
Mallards Landing, GA (GA04)
Old 06-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Excellent. I'll be trying it again tomorrow. Thank you. ... Maybe a short taxi test, too.
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-01-2017, 01:54 PM

Looks like it's a bigger problem. I let it run at 2200 for a full minute with the prop control pulled back. No RPM change. It's a Hartzell governor I got with the FWF kit from Van's. Stock engine and prop. I could use some advice.

I know the forward plug is out and the documentation I got with the engine says specifically if using a CS prop to remove the forward plug. It says nothing about the aft plug. I believe the aft plug was in place (if memory serves) and the docs certainly imply it's there.

I'm thinking the next step is to remove the governor and send it out for an inspection or maybe back to Van's if there's a warranty through them. Is there anything else I can do at this point to troubleshoot this issue?
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log
Old 07-01-2017, 02:26 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Before I sent the governor off, I'd check the position of the gasket. Ocam's razor says that if you have a new prop and a new governor, they are probably fine. Which means installation is more likely the issue. Not certain - but more likely.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 07-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Before I sent the governor off, I'd check the position of the gasket. Ocam's razor says that if you have a new prop and a new governor, they are probably fine. Which means installation is more likely the issue. Not certain - but more likely.
I'll check the gasket when I remove governor. Hopefully you're right and I'll be able to just reinstall it.
Start - 11/2010
RV-10 Build Log