VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 PM

A final layer of slurry on top of the top of the fiberglass (made from a mix of resin and micro balloons) will allow you to sand to a smooth finish without damaging the fibers. Mix it to the consistency of thick syrup. Slurry should also be used under the bottom cloth layer where it lies on the foam. The slurry fills the pores in the foam and gives better adhesion than just resin.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Thanks a lot lots Folks for valuable advice . It makes my day. I have decided to do my own vs buying pre made.
I have order bi-directional cloths, smaller aluminum roller, from Aircraft Spruce , 1-1/2 Quart E-Z epoxy resin (EZ-10) and E-Z 83 hardener which is 2 hrs. Pot Life, I am hoping 2 hrs is enough for me to work.
And I bought ( Peel Ply)
Next week I am going to do the project and will post the pic.

Thanks Again every one.

Lukla
Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM

Don't worry if you have to add a layer after it sets up. Peel ply can be pulled up easily and leaves behind a good surface texture for bonding to an additional layer of fiberglass on top of the cured one. If you add too much hardener your pot life will be significantly less than two hours.