- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Default Rotax Voltage Regulator issues Again

Good morning everyone. Our Ducati VR on our RV12 failed after only 223 hours of service. Now the second one has failed after 109 hours!! Both of them lasted about 10 months each.

I spoke to Van's technical dept. this morning and they are aware of the short life of this VR. Vans has discussed this with Rotax but there doesn't seem to be any action taken to correct the issue.

Other than the John Deere VR I've seen mentioned here on this forum, is there any other VR that someone would recommend that works well on the Rotax? Any info somebody has would be appreciated.

Thanks guys for your help.

Bob1393
Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Bob -- Were your Ducati R/Rs located forward of the F/W or under the avionics tray? Do you usually fly with all the bells and whistles (i.e., lights and electronics) powered up? -- David
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 560+ hours (as of Oct 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1393 View Post
Other than the John Deere VR I've seen mentioned here on this forum, is there any other VR that someone would recommend that works well on the Rotax?
The German made Silent Hektik works, but I would only recommend it if your flights are mostly longer than half an hour or so. Because of the way it was designed for Li batteries, it doesn't reach its full output for a while after engine start. It works fine, but if your normal flight is pretty short I wouldn't recommend it.

My JD clone regulator only lasted about 10 hours. That seems to be an anomaly, but I'm probably not going to use another. I'm trying to "un-pot" my Ducati regulator to see if it can be repaired to keep it or the SH as a spare.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 06-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Dave and Dale - thanx for the replies. Our VR is located in the cabin under the avionics tray - they both were.

I talked to Dean at Lockwood Aviation and he recommended that they be wired per the Rotax manual and not Van's manual. The difference is Rotax wants the three spade lugs - R +B and C wired together and they are not in Van's version according to Dean. I haven't checked it out yet.

Bob
Old 06-26-2017, 02:44 PM

I saw a picture of it wired that way on a Zenith. That wires the two AC pins and the voltage sense pin (or whatever that "C" pin is called) right?
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845
First flight 06/10/2015
Old 06-26-2017, 08:04 PM

The problem with wiring R +B and C together is that the master switch will no longer shut off the electrical system while the engine is running. I know because I tried it. If there is smoke in the cockpit, the only way to shut off the electrical system is to pull the 30 amp alternator fuse. Will you remember to do that?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:00 PM

A friend had VR failure with his Rans Rotax last week flying out for breakfast, same issue, second time, it does not last long.

He take is it needs cooling, the heat is killing the unit.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
The German made Silent Hektik works, but I would only recommend it if your flights are mostly longer than half an hour or so. Because of the way it was designed for Li batteries, it doesn't reach its full output for a while after engine start. It works fine, but if your normal flight is pretty short I wouldn't recommend it.

My JD clone regulator only lasted about 10 hours. That seems to be an anomaly, but I'm probably not going to use another. I'm trying to "un-pot" my Ducati regulator to see if it can be repaired to keep it or the SH as a spare.
Depends on which SH voltage reg you order....I have both. With the normal Van's supplied battery (I'm not at hangar so I'm guessing), the model xx14 puts out 14.7 volts. The other one xx18, puts out a stepped voltage starting out at 13.4; and every 20 minutes, jumps up till 14.7...which is good for LiFi batteries.
Tho RVN)
Distinguished Flying Cross Society Member
CH-47 & UH-1H "Driver"
Rotax 9 Series Service IRMT

RV-12 Kit#729 "N312RD" is now a full functioning fun machine!! Thanks Van for fulfilling my dream😎
2017 Dues Paid
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 PM

1200 hours and 11 years on my Rans S-7S, voltage regulator has never moved from 14.0 volts. Electric load in the Rans is lower then my 12, wonder if that is the problem.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 AM

Default The facts

If you have a pre 2010 regulator, it will fail because of INTERNAL cooling design issues, if you run these at low power, they will last forever.

If you have a 2010 or later version it will likely fail from operational vibrations acting on manufacturing induced, prestressed component leads, in a potting compound that is temperature unstable.

Anyone who tells you the failures are caused because Vans didn't follow the Rotax required wiring plan doesn't know what they are talking about, they don't have a clue to how this regulator works.

Mike