VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Default D180 brightness issues

Don't know if this already discussed, but couldn't find on search. My d180 brightens up at start and by the time I am taxi-ing out in the sunlight it goes to about half brightness (or less) . After takeoff screen (efis/ems} darkens to almost unreadable. Mine was new in 2010 don't know if nits have been improved since, but believe my vintage had 400. Is there anything I can do with it or must it be replaced? (I haven't yet asked Dynon as earlier help experiences with them were not helpful)
Any comments to steer me to a solution are very much appreciated.
dick seiders 120093
Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Long shot- sensor

I am not sure but their is probably a tiny sensor on the front of the unit somewhere that senses the ambient light and auto adjusts the screen. Is it possible there is blockage or crud covering the sensor?

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2017 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV (RV4chick's blog)
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 06-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Dick,
Have you tried adjusting the brightness? Quote from manual:
Quote:
press any button beneath an EFIS page (except the far left or far right hotkeys) and press MORE > DIM and increase the brightness
Also search the manuals for BRIGHTNESS and search the pilot user guide for AUTODIM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:45 PM

Will check for sensor. If there is one I am unaware of it.

Have tried brightess adj. on efis with the result that the unit states that full brightness is default setting as a result I could only dim it which of course is not what I need. i will try the buttons plus "more" to see what happens ,Joe.

Just curious has anyone else ever reported this difficulty? Has anyone had to have the d180 repaired for this issue? If so was the improvement real or marginal?

Thanks for input.
dick seiders 120093
Old 06-25-2017, 09:28 PM

The sensor may be on one of the other avionics components. I think the Garmin units (com and XPDR) have sensors. Since everything talks to each other on the data bus that may be the sensor input. It's been 5 years since I set up my D-180 and D-100, but I do remember a menu item to max the brightness. Since my 12 is a day VFR machine I haven't ever worried about changing the brightness again.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 AM

I will keep trying but clearly there is a D1 80 problem as my Garman 496 and my iPad are clear and visible in the same light and conditions at the D1 80 fades out and becomes essentially useless
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Do you have a HS34 or AP74? If so, the brightness may be controlled by their built in sensor over the bus...
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM

I had a similar issue any time I tried to use the automatic dimmer. I finally just set it to manual brightness (sorry, don't remember the exact menu sequence) and cranked it all the way up.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 07-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Checked out all the items suggested did no good there are no sensors visible nor did the setting buttons do any good. I went into the dSAB configuration tried switching the brightness to yes instead of this customary No. after that it went into automatic dimming which is a essentially what happens after I start the engine taxi and take off it keeps getting dimmer. I switched it back to No on the configure and brightness is normal as before but expect it will get dimmer after start up. Will try later
Dick seiders
Old 07-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Dick,

Did you update your software to the latest version a couple of years ago? Just a thought.

Rich