VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 PM
ShuRugal ShuRugal is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 4
Default New pilot considering an RV-4

Bit of background: I've just recently been awarded my Sport Pilot certificate, and am working on hours for my Private. I've been flying Tecnam Sierras, and I love the way they handle and sip gas, but they are a bit on the slow side and I can't find one for sell under $100k, and my budget for a plane is no more than $50k.

Doing research, I really like what I see with Van's, and the RV-4 looks just about perfect: Centerline seating, small, light weight, reported to have excellent handling, good fuel consumption, and nice and zippy. Second seat is a plus for the times I will want a passenger along.

Been looking around at pricing, and it seems that the price is right around my range as well. Looks like I could pick up a used RV-4 with a decent engine and a Hartzel for anything from low 40s to upper 50s.

I would love to build one, but looking at pricing, i'd be over budget at airframe, engine, and prop. By the time i put instruments in it, i'd be close to 80k.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a used cherokee for $20k and just accept that it's a slow gas-hog?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM
eisnerrv4 eisnerrv4 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 144
Thumbs up RV4 Purchase

If you find a good built RV-4 you won't go wrong. They're great airplanes. I sure love mine. Good luck and go for it.
__________________
Brian Eisner
RV-4 C-GRJT
Bedford Nova Scotia
Canada
Dues paid for 2016
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM
tfriendshuh tfriendshuh is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Duluth
Posts: 61
Default

RV-4 is awesome and if I were a smaller fella that's what I would be flying.

However - I'm 6'5" and my traveling companion is 5'11" and we simply won't fit in a -4.

Have you sat in one?
__________________
tim
RV-8A N325RB IO360 CS
2017 VAF dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Chkaharyer99 Chkaharyer99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pilot Hill, CA
Posts: 853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuRugal View Post
Bit of background: I've just recently been awarded my Sport Pilot certificate, and am working on hours for my Private. I've been flying Tecnam Sierras, and I love the way they handle and sip gas, but they are a bit on the slow side and I can't find one for sell under $100k, and my budget for a plane is no more than $50k.

Doing research, I really like what I see with Van's, and the RV-4 looks just about perfect: Centerline seating, small, light weight, reported to have excellent handling, good fuel consumption, and nice and zippy. Second seat is a plus for the times I will want a passenger along.

Been looking around at pricing, and it seems that the price is right around my range as well. Looks like I could pick up a used RV-4 with a decent engine and a Hartzel for anything from low 40s to upper 50s.

I would love to build one, but looking at pricing, i'd be over budget at airframe, engine, and prop. By the time i put instruments in it, i'd be close to 80k.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a used cherokee for $20k and just accept that it's a slow gas-hog?
Consider talking to Brian, aka; 1flyingyogi on this site. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...er.php?u=21871

He was in the same situation, sport pilot working on private and was exploring the idea of buying and flying an RV. Here is a link to his thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ight=Brian+RV4

Brian ended up buying a beautiful RV4 for what seemed to me a great price.

I got my PPL in 2014 and bought an RV8 immediately afterwards with about 100 hours under my belt mostly in a C-172. The RV's are wonderful airplanes. It's definitely doable. You are definitely not barking up the wrong tree.

I bought an RV because I wanted to fly. Now that I own and maintain one I really want to build. Good luck with your decision and welcome to VAF.
__________________
Charlie
RV-8
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2017, 04:15 PM
rv7boy's Avatar
rv7boy rv7boy is offline
Forum Peruser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austinville, Alabama
Posts: 2,196
Default RV White Pages

You might try looking around the RV White pages... link on page one of Doug's VAF News Page (left margin) to see if a builder or pilot is near you. By networking you should soon be able to get a ride in an RV4. If not a ride rightaway, a lot of your questions/concerns will be answered by looking at one up close.

P.S. By going to "Model" and then looking for Virginia, I found four RV-4's, all in "Flying" Status.
__________________
Don Hull
RV-7 Wings
KDCU Pryor Field
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 06-23-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 PM
1flyingyogi 1flyingyogi is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 158
Default

I bought my RV4 shortly after getting my Sport Pilot Certificate and it was not the traditional or easy way to do things. At the time, I only had about 50hrs and no private pilot certificate and only a tail-wheel endorsement in a Citabria. No one took me seriously and I probably had more people tell me NOT to buy an RV4 than those supporting my decision. They felt it was "too much plane" for a newbie.

After looking for about 5 months, spending lots of money/ time traveling all over the place and seeing lots of RV6's and RV4's, I finally found a good one. I then went to Mike Seager for transition training, and then got my Private Pilot Certificate a few months afterwards.

It certainly is not an easy/ ideal first plane to have, but for me, it was the right thing to do. I am thoroughly enjoying the plane and have no regrets doing it this way. I wish it was a little easier and less stressful in the beginning stages, but I feel it's all worth it.

Just to make sure it's what you really want, I would recommend getting some tail-dragger trianing/ endorsement and also get some rides in a -4 (the more the better) and see what you think. It really is a "total performance" aircraft - sporty, good for light aerobatics, relatively comfortable, practical and economical enough for cross country and just a huge amount of fun to fly!

Get the training and enjoy!





Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuRugal View Post
Bit of background: I've just recently been awarded my Sport Pilot certificate, and am working on hours for my Private. I've been flying Tecnam Sierras, and I love the way they handle and sip gas, but they are a bit on the slow side and I can't find one for sell under $100k, and my budget for a plane is no more than $50k.

Doing research, I really like what I see with Van's, and the RV-4 looks just about perfect: Centerline seating, small, light weight, reported to have excellent handling, good fuel consumption, and nice and zippy. Second seat is a plus for the times I will want a passenger along.

Been looking around at pricing, and it seems that the price is right around my range as well. Looks like I could pick up a used RV-4 with a decent engine and a Hartzel for anything from low 40s to upper 50s.

I would love to build one, but looking at pricing, i'd be over budget at airframe, engine, and prop. By the time i put instruments in it, i'd be close to 80k.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a used cherokee for $20k and just accept that it's a slow gas-hog?
__________________
Brian RV4 (bought)
0-320 Carbureted, FP wood prop, Raven 1/2 Oil
Dues Happily Paid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2017, 05:10 PM
precession precession is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 108
Default

Just checking: are you talking about purchasing one in which to try to finish your training for a private pilot license, or are you thinking of buying one for use after you get the PPL?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM
ShuRugal ShuRugal is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
You might try looking around the RV White pages... link on page one of Doug's VAF News Page (left margin) to see if a builder or pilot is near you. By networking you should soon be able to get a ride in an RV4. If not a ride rightaway, a lot of your questions/concerns will be answered by looking at one up close.

P.S. By going to "Model" and then looking for Virginia, I found four RV-4's, all in "Flying" Status.

Seems like sound advice, I will definitely look into that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by precession View Post
Just checking: are you talking about purchasing one in which to try to finish your training for a private pilot license, or are you thinking of buying one for use after you get the PPL?
Either/or. I am confident enough in my basic aptitude and pilot ability that I do not believe it is likely to be "too much to handle". I have roughly a thousand hours of simulator time, and who knows how much RC-model time, which i have found translates very well into real-word fundamentals: The first time I ever touched a real-world full-scale stick, my instructor thought I was already a pilot and was taking a "discovery flight" as a practical joke; I flew the plane off the runway, around the countryside, back into the pattern, and made my landing without him needing to touch the stick, and every lesson I have had with him since has gone the same way.


That said, I am likely to end up finishing up my PP before I find one to purchase: Only reason I don't already have my PP is i need to log more hours. As soon as I cross all my "i"s and dot all my "t"s, i'll be taking my practical for PP.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM
agirard7a's Avatar
agirard7a agirard7a is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 573
Default Simple

Get transition training! Worth the money. Especially as a new pilot.
You will need to for insurance.
__________________
Al Girard, Newport, RI
N79LG
RV 9a
on the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM
fixnflyguy fixnflyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C.
Posts: 801
Default

If you can get down to NC, I can give you a full RV4 tour/ride. I built mine, and work on many others. I have helped several first time RV Want to be owners become owners..they are great machines.
__________________
Bill E.
RV-4/N76WE
41 Aeronca 65TC Defender
8A7 / Advance NC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.