- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Default New pilot considering an RV-4

Bit of background: I've just recently been awarded my Sport Pilot certificate, and am working on hours for my Private. I've been flying Tecnam Sierras, and I love the way they handle and sip gas, but they are a bit on the slow side and I can't find one for sell under $100k, and my budget for a plane is no more than $50k.

Doing research, I really like what I see with Van's, and the RV-4 looks just about perfect: Centerline seating, small, light weight, reported to have excellent handling, good fuel consumption, and nice and zippy. Second seat is a plus for the times I will want a passenger along.

Been looking around at pricing, and it seems that the price is right around my range as well. Looks like I could pick up a used RV-4 with a decent engine and a Hartzel for anything from low 40s to upper 50s.

I would love to build one, but looking at pricing, i'd be over budget at airframe, engine, and prop. By the time i put instruments in it, i'd be close to 80k.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a used cherokee for $20k and just accept that it's a slow gas-hog?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up RV4 Purchase

If you find a good built RV-4 you won't go wrong. They're great airplanes. I sure love mine. Good luck and go for it.
Canada
Dues paid for 2016
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM

RV-4 is awesome and if I were a smaller fella that's what I would be flying.

However - I'm 6'5" and my traveling companion is 5'11" and we simply won't fit in a -4.

Have you sat in one?
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuRugal View Post
Bit of background: I've just recently been awarded my Sport Pilot certificate, and am working on hours for my Private. I've been flying Tecnam Sierras, and I love the way they handle and sip gas, but they are a bit on the slow side and I can't find one for sell under $100k, and my budget for a plane is no more than $50k.

Doing research, I really like what I see with Van's, and the RV-4 looks just about perfect: Centerline seating, small, light weight, reported to have excellent handling, good fuel consumption, and nice and zippy. Second seat is a plus for the times I will want a passenger along.

Been looking around at pricing, and it seems that the price is right around my range as well. Looks like I could pick up a used RV-4 with a decent engine and a Hartzel for anything from low 40s to upper 50s.

I would love to build one, but looking at pricing, i'd be over budget at airframe, engine, and prop. By the time i put instruments in it, i'd be close to 80k.

Any advice? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a used cherokee for $20k and just accept that it's a slow gas-hog?
Consider talking to Brian, aka; 1flyingyogi on this site. http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...er.php?u=21871

He was in the same situation, sport pilot working on private and was exploring the idea of buying and flying an RV. Here is a link to his thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ight=Brian+RV4

Brian ended up buying a beautiful RV4 for what seemed to me a great price.

I got my PPL in 2014 and bought an RV8 immediately afterwards with about 100 hours under my belt mostly in a C-172. The RV's are wonderful airplanes. It's definitely doable. You are definitely not barking up the wrong tree.

I bought an RV because I wanted to fly. Now that I own and maintain one I really want to build. Good luck with your decision and welcome to VAF.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Forum Peruser

Default RV White Pages

You might try looking around the RV White pages... link on page one of Doug's VAF News Page (left margin) to see if a builder or pilot is near you. By networking you should soon be able to get a ride in an RV4. If not a ride rightaway, a lot of your questions/concerns will be answered by looking at one up close.

P.S. By going to "Model" and then looking for Virginia, I found four RV-4's, all in "Flying" Status.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Last edited by rv7boy : 06-23-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 PM

I bought my RV4 shortly after getting my Sport Pilot Certificate and it was not the traditional or easy way to do things. At the time, I only had about 50hrs and no private pilot certificate and only a tail-wheel endorsement in a Citabria. No one took me seriously and I probably had more people tell me NOT to buy an RV4 than those supporting my decision. They felt it was "too much plane" for a newbie.

After looking for about 5 months, spending lots of money/ time traveling all over the place and seeing lots of RV6's and RV4's, I finally found a good one. I then went to Mike Seager for transition training, and then got my Private Pilot Certificate a few months afterwards.

It certainly is not an easy/ ideal first plane to have, but for me, it was the right thing to do. I am thoroughly enjoying the plane and have no regrets doing it this way. I wish it was a little easier and less stressful in the beginning stages, but I feel it's all worth it.

Just to make sure it's what you really want, I would recommend getting some tail-dragger trianing/ endorsement and also get some rides in a -4 (the more the better) and see what you think. It really is a "total performance" aircraft - sporty, good for light aerobatics, relatively comfortable, practical and economical enough for cross country and just a huge amount of fun to fly!

Get the training and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuRugal View Post

Old 06-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Just checking: are you talking about purchasing one in which to try to finish your training for a private pilot license, or are you thinking of buying one for use after you get the PPL?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
You might try looking around the RV White pages... link on page one of Doug's VAF News Page (left margin) to see if a builder or pilot is near you. By networking you should soon be able to get a ride in an RV4. If not a ride rightaway, a lot of your questions/concerns will be answered by looking at one up close.

P.S. By going to "Model" and then looking for Virginia, I found four RV-4's, all in "Flying" Status.

Seems like sound advice, I will definitely look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by precession View Post
Just checking: are you talking about purchasing one in which to try to finish your training for a private pilot license, or are you thinking of buying one for use after you get the PPL?
Either/or. I am confident enough in my basic aptitude and pilot ability that I do not believe it is likely to be "too much to handle". I have roughly a thousand hours of simulator time, and who knows how much RC-model time, which i have found translates very well into real-word fundamentals: The first time I ever touched a real-world full-scale stick, my instructor thought I was already a pilot and was taking a "discovery flight" as a practical joke; I flew the plane off the runway, around the countryside, back into the pattern, and made my landing without him needing to touch the stick, and every lesson I have had with him since has gone the same way.

That said, I am likely to end up finishing up my PP before I find one to purchase: Only reason I don't already have my PP is i need to log more hours. As soon as I cross all my "i"s and dot all my "t"s, i'll be taking my practical for PP.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:38 PM

Default Simple

Get transition training! Worth the money. Especially as a new pilot.
You will need to for insurance.
on the fuse.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:48 PM

If you can get down to NC, I can give you a full RV4 tour/ride. I built mine, and work on many others. I have helped several first time RV Want to be owners become owners..they are great machines.
8A7 / Advance NC