- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
E-mails are only sent out for Service Bulletins

A Notification is only issued for things that are not safety of flight concerns.

The soft isolators can not be over compressed because there is still a spacer that the bolt torques up on.
Scott, can you elaborate on what lead to this notification?
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todehnal View Post
.......By the way, I have no purple dot, no white dot, and no raised text, for what it's worth. I may see some evidence of them when I get the old ones out, but I carefully worked my way around all four front and back rubber mounts using a mirror and found no markings at all.
Today I did the same and saw no raised letters. Then my grandson took a look with his younger eyes and claims to see what might possibly be the very edge of some letters peeking out from under the metal part of the mount. I am going to have to dissassemble at least one of them to see for sure if there is lettering buried in there. Tomorrow......

BTW, if one of the four mounts is found to be of the "good" type, does that mean that one can assume that all four are good? Or could they be from two batches in the same kit?

Last edited by BigJohn : 06-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Today I did the same and saw no raised letters. Then my grandson took a look with his younger eyes and claims to see what might possibly be the very edge of some letters peeking out from under the metal part of the mount. I am going to have to dissassemble at least one of them to see for sure if there is lettering buried in there. Tomorrow......

BTW, if one of the four mounts is found to be of the "good" type, does that mean that one can assume that all four are good? Or could they be from two batches in the same kit?
John, the bulletin states that if raised text are found on one half of an isolator, that isolator is considered good, but not all of them. So, basically you need to find raised text on at least one half of each isolator, At least that is the way that I read the notification document.
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 06-23-2017, 04:48 AM

Good morning. Hopefully Scott will weigh in on this question. I dont want to have to take them ALL apart just to see.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 AM

Hey Ueli!

Do you remember how much room you needed to get the old isolators out, and the new ones in? Would it be more or less than an inch? I'm trying to figure out how much slack I will need in wiring, hoses, etc. It would probably be best to create sufficient slack first, rather than deal with a tight wire or hose later.
Thanks..............Tom
Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 AM

Six hours is about right to change these out. Change them two at a time in sets, top and bottom. No need to disconnect any wiring or fluid lines. The engine will pivot enough to get the longer half of the isolator out…provided it was installed per the KIA. The biggest issue is alignment of the bolt into the isolator bolt sleeve. The isolator is centered in the engine mounting ring, but the ring is sagging relative to the gear leg engine mount bolt hole. I strongly recommend you find some help to lift/wiggle the engine to align these bolts.

Bigjohn i don't know how well this will work, can you make an impression with modeling clay (or something similar) of the obscured side of the rubber isolator?? I would check all four.

Mike
Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller View Post
Six hours is about right to change these out

Bigjohn i don't know how well this will work, can you make an impression with modeling clay (or something similar) of the obscured side of the rubber isolator?? I would check all four.

Mike
Thanks for the tips on changing these out. Always nice to hear from someone who has been there, and done that.

Actually, with a small mirror and a light I was able to see all the way around most of the isolators.

Tom
Old 06-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12 View Post
Scott, can you elaborate on what lead to this notification?
It was discovered that at some point the supplier had mixed in an alternate part with at least one shipment of parts to Van's.
At the time of discovery, there was info that indicated that delivery of the incorrect part was isolated to a specific time frame, but additional information obtained later indicated that it was wider than that time frame.

If I remember correctly the parts are individually packaged (not in a boxed set of four) so the recommendation is that all four on an RV-12 should be checked.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
.......If I remember correctly the parts are individually packaged (not in a boxed set of four) so the recommendation is that all four on an RV-12 should be checked.
Thanks Scott. With more careful examination using a small mirror and strong light I was able to positively identify one mount, and see partial raised lettters and/or white dots on the other three, enough evidence to satisfy me. I think I am good.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Since my new isolators arrived from Van's yesterday, I changed mine out today. Not a bad job at all. I took the battery out, the air filters off, and needed to move the engine mounted adell clamp that holds the cabin heat cable in place. And of course, you have to open up the front of the tunnel to gain access to the bottom bolts. The only help that I had was when I called my daughter out to hold the bottom bolts from turning that are inside the tunnel, and to swap out the sandwiched isolator pucks while I jiggled the engine around. All the rest was a one man job. Yes, it took me less than 6 hrs start to finish. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the project went. Don't be shy guys. Oh, I do have a small engine hoist, which in my opinion is a must, and don't forget to support the tail before cutting the engine loose. Hope this helps...........Tom