- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Default RV 6 partial kit help / advice

So I have always dreamed of building my own RV. Recently I acquired a partial RV 6 kit from a friend. It's a partially built empennage kit and a complete wing kit still in the box. As far as I can tell no fuselage parts ( haven't inventoried it fully yet). The guy I got it from said do what you want with it- build it, sell it, hang it on your wall, etc. So I am at a crossroads. Building an RV has always been a dream on mine ( an RV-8) but timing right now is not good - currently in a&p school and studying for my CFI plus working nights. And, the wife isn't too keen on the idea ( probably the biggest factor). At this point I'm many hours and prob 30,000 or more from finishing, or I could sell it to someone in a better position to build it.

Any advice?

How much would the kit as is be worth?

Thanks

Ed
Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM

It's probable that this kit will take considerably more time (which you don't have much of) to build than the more recent kits, and also that it'll cost a lot more than you're figuring right now. My vote would be to sell it for whatever it'll bring, and when the time is right and your wife is agreeable, build the airplane she approves of.

Dave
Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome aboard

Ed, welcome to VAF
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah selling was my first thought but the kid in me who used to build paper airplanes and dream of owning his own plane someday had visions of grandeur ha ha. It's a hard dream to put on hold especially if you have a piece of it in your hands.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 PM

Make sure you have a bill of sale from the previous owner of the kit so you can send it to Van's along with the builders number so it can be registered with Van's as you, the builder entitled to that builder number. In the end, Van's will issue you a bill of sale that the FAA will need.
VAF #897
2016 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 06-15-2017, 03:52 AM

Talking Hmmm

My advice:-

Divorce the wife and buy a dog they are much more supportive of your building dreams!

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 AM

If you dream of building, take the kit and build it. Look for second hand tools, and peck away at the project as a hobby/learning experience. You'll always be able to sell it for more than you have invested, and even if you don't finish it, the skills will transfer to both your career and the next RV project.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

For a new-young marriage, this would be a high risk decision, older mature relationship with the other partner that dose not care about you getting into a serious time consuming hobby.......maybe? but still......she better be on board or that dog statement above might have some weight to it.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

As a practical matter, building takes a huge amount of time and energy. You might consider selling yours, and buying the much more finished kit from Jesse Saint. It is a 6 also, but would move you down the road.

Selling, saving, waiting is not a bad course either. Maybe your wife wants to begin the building process.

99% at the hangar now
Old 06-15-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
As a practical matter, building takes a huge amount of time and energy. You might consider selling yours, and buying the much more finished kit from Jesse Saint. It is a 6 also, but would move you down the road.

Selling, saving, waiting is not a bad course either. Maybe your wife wants to begin the building process.
I agree completely!
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.