- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I am getting close to packing up and heading to the airport with my 7. I did the SB on my HS. It took more than the 12 hours that BLAIN did.
Family out of town, no breaks, no interruptions but completed in one day.

I like the fix Vans designed. As mentioned before it is well worth the piece of mind.
N82 Sierra Tango
Avatar courtesy of AircraftStickers.com!
Dues gladly paid thru Nov. 2017 (my reminder)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Default SB

Just doing mine today - about 10 hours of drilling out rivets. It took a lot longer than I thought. The -3 rivets were easy, but the -4 rivets were really tricky (at least for me). I'm not that good at drilling out rivets, so I did the -3 rivets with a #40 to make sure I didn't touch the original hole - even that was not easy. Surprising how hard it is to keep a drill bit exactly on the middle of a rivet head!

One thing I don't quite understand - even with the cracks, it really looks like the chance of anything failing is close to zero - those HS-710 and HS-714 angles are beefy. I know that there is a good reason for this SB, or it would not exist, just saying that the original design sure looks strong enough.

Couple of business opportunities I saw there:

1) a mini camera that's really tiny and can mount to anything you are working on and give you a super-large macro image of the work - this would have helped me a lot
2) some kind of bushing or guide to keep a drill bit centered on either head of an AN470 rivet.

Update: Yves pointed this tool to me, which I didn't know about! http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Rivet-...ductinfo/RRT4/

I would have paid a lot of money for either of these today! Let's see if I can get the rest done in the next few nights. I'll feel better knowing the SB is applied.

Last edited by rv8ch : 10-02-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added rivet removal tool
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Us too.

We took ours back off before the aircraft even had its first flight. The job took time, but knowing that it is done and we have it in the log book we feel a lot safer with the extra spar reinforcement. We don't fly all that hard anymore and the modification may be over-kill for us, but the next guy in 15-20 years will know it is there and feel better about it too. The only mod. I have not done is the wing rear spar bracket reinforcement for the Al. attachment bracket. Right now we just inspect it every 3-4 months as we have the inspection plates off. That one would take a little more help and need to be done very carefully. It is well with-in our skill set, but as I said we don't fly that hard anymore. Smooth loading and unloading with only +4, -2 is about as hard as we go these days. We have more fun just going places and seeing the sights.
Just what we did. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 10-02-2017 at 08:38 AM.