- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
So, do you have a Skyview, and if so, do you remember how you configured your flaps?
Yes, I have a Skyview EFIS. The VP-X configurator is what is used to set the range and the various stop positions for the flaps. You can also reverse the polarity of the flap motor voltage, so no worries about which wire is up/down.
I think the only thing required on the Skyview is to go into the EMS configuration and select that the flap position is coming from the VP-X data. Then configure a widget on the screen layout editor display to be tied to the flap position input. I have a different widget for the various screen partition sizes. On the full EMS screen, it is a quarter circle shape with a flap like pointer and on the narrow screen I just have degree numbers.

I'm pretty sure the set up is well documented in the Skyview Installation Guide.
See page 13-5.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Yes, I have a Skyview EFIS. The VP-X configurator is what is used to set the range and the various stop positions for the flaps. You can also reverse the polarity of the flap motor voltage, so no worries about which wire is up/down.
I think the only thing required on the Skyview is to go into the EMS configuration and select that the flap position is coming from the VP-X data. Then configure a widget on the screen layout editor display to be tied to the flap position input. I have a different widget for the various screen partition sizes. On the full EMS screen, it is a quarter circle shape with a flap like pointer and on the narrow screen I just have degree numbers.

I'm pretty sure the set up is well documented in the Skyview Installation Guide.
See page 13-5.
Ok, thanks! Maybe I'll give it another try.
VAF#1145
Donation up to date 9/17
Old 06-23-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I used the Ray Allen POS-12 sensor and mounted it like this:

Flaps up position - sensor arm fully out:

For those choosing to use the sensor, the angle to the vertical is 30 degrees. I did a drawing to determine the ideal.

99% at the hangar now
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
For those choosing to use the sensor, the angle to the vertical is 30 degrees. I did a drawing to determine the ideal.
Nice set up here. Mine is similar only the sensor bracket has a pivot point, though from fully up to fully down there is very little movement. It has worked flawlessly with no maintenance required in 600+ hours. Each annual I look at for any sign of issues as I inspect the flap motor and attachment points.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 PM

Default Flap position sensor

I put my sensor on the side of the fuselage instead of the center column. Like that, you can remove center section without remove the sensor. Work great and never had any trouble. On the pics, the link are disconnected because I work on it when I take the pics.....
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=205258&row=11
Piper Cherokee C-FEYI (sold)
RV-7A C-GMYL Status : FLYING with perpetual RV Grin!!!
Hatz Classic : building wings
http://www.mykitlog.com/Closterman/
Donated to VAF (12-2016)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM

I have a question, why doesn't anyone use the Motion Systems actuator with built in feedback?

Motion Systems makes the exact same series actuator for every RV model WITH built in feedback. No need to mount up extra brackets and sensors. It's all done for you on the inside with a FAR superior pot than what's inside the POS-12.

It wires up just the same as the actuator with the external POS-12. Just seems like more work and more to go wrong with all that extra linkage as Walt pointed out.

If you really want flap position why not use the same motor with all this external stuff built in?

What if it breaks you ask? It'll last a lot longer and give you a much cleaner signal than the POS-12, trust me. If you put both the built in pot inside the actuator and the POS-12 pot on a scope you can visually see how superior the pot is inside the actuator compared to the POS-12.

I built my own digital flap controller and use the motor with built in feedback. No other hardware and brackets to mount.

No quite as simple as looking over your shoulder but a lot easier than mounting up all that ancillary stuff just to get flap position.

As stated earlier, my post is simply an expression of my OPINION and should be taken for what it's worth.

Last edited by Shawn25854 : 06-28-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Sounds like a much better solution, you got a PN for that motor Shawn?

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Hi Walt,

It's very easy, just add "-POT" to the end of your current 85615 series part number for your RV model specific actuator. Not all RV models use the same actuator so your mileage will vary.

Note: as the stroke length on the actuators increases the center to center mounting distance on the holes MAY increase just a little. This means that the minimum retracted centerline distance might be slightly longer than the non feedback version. This is for the cover on the feedback pot. This is more noticeable only on the longer stroke models.

You can check this on the Motion Systems website.

Shawn