Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2017, 01:27 PM

I suggest you very carefully inspect the large skins: I missed some damage one one sking that was partially hidden by the blue plastic (looked like a minor tear, but skin had full-thickness damage underneath). Vans stepped up and took care of it when I found the damage later. As much damage as you have to the crate means some of the items inside may have been crushed against others - in my case I think a long angle perforated the skin with a very innocent looking little tear in the blue plastic.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM

For what it is worth, to Houston I've had good experiences with both Old Dominion (wing (minor crate damage), empennage and fuselage kits; and ABF for the finishing kit. No damage to any parts and very reasonable cost, $300 or less for each kit and $540 for the finishing kit. You can choose your shipper and Anne can quote the different rates.
RV14A #83
Wings, empennage and fuselage completed
Finish kit in progress
IO-390 Thunderbolt ordered
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrv7 View Post
I had to deal with the same busted crate from FedEx in January. If you look at my blog under "Empennage kit delivery", you can see the very damaged crate! While the truck was still at the hangar (prior to unloading), I called Van's for guidance. Following the phone call, I refused the shipment and the truck driver drove away with the jacked up crate. Like Scott said, I was also concerned about parts that may have been missing since the entire top of the crate was detached. Van's said they would handle the claim with FedEx. About a month later, the second empennage shipment arrived with barely a scratch on it....also from FedEx with the same truck driver.

Other than refusing the crate at delivery, I didn't do anything during the process. Kim from Van's handled everything and was a pleasure to work with.
Maybe I've made my first mistake -- I could have have refused to accept the shipment, too. I am disappointed in myself that I didn't even think about calling Van's when the shipment arrived in a damaged crate. Good "piloting" by you. The crate you sent back looks worse than mine is. Maybe I will get lucky.
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
===========================
Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM

Default regardless....

Based on what others who have posted, it sounds like Vans will get it all resolved and there is no wrong decision; refuse to accept or accept and work with Vans to get replacement parts as needed.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:49 PM

Was just notified that my -14 empennage shipped out today on OD, I hope it arrives undamaged. But lately my luck with heavy freight has not been the best.
N170CS reserved
Flying out of 82J
Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I suggest you very carefully inspect the large skins: I missed some damage one one sking that was partially hidden by the blue plastic
Same here! Fortunately, Vans being a fantastic company to work with, they replaced it a month later.
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Reserved: N196
Progress: Finishing Kit'ish
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1bennett View Post
I think I just understood your meaning: It' missing quite a few EXTERNAL parts. I am really having a hard time understanding what in the heck FedEX did to the crate. It's wacky, but I'm not going to waste many calories on it. My hope is that it's not missing any INTERNAL parts!
Correct
I meant exterior parts of the crate that are missing.
Can't comment on parts missing from the inside based on the photos

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM

On both airplanes I had crate damage from forklifts that stuck forks into the crates. Both times Van's took good care of me, so always call them and let them know what's up. Both times too, the damage could have been far worse than it was, and it ended up being just some skins that needed being replaced if I remember correctly.

It does really baffle me why shippers don't pay attention to which side should be up, and stacking limitations, and all of the things that they do. Especially if they are on the hook for damages.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 05-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Same issue for me. Crushed/perforated wing kit from FedEx. After inventory and finding damaged parts, it was a simple matter of a call to Van's with follow up including emailing photos of the damage. They told me that as long as the freight is prepaid then it is on them (Van's) to deal with claims against the shipping company. I had my replacement parts within a week. Very painless and excellent support from Van's.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 PM

I have used Old Dominion and ABF to deliver my kits and they have been excellent. Because of continuous issues with FED EX over the last several years, I avoid them at all costs